Categories:

Mustangs to kick off the season against the Profs Thursday

Stevenson football to face Rowan University in season opener at 7 p.m. this Thursday
After a successful season last year, middle linebacker and fourth-year Gavin Shields is a crucial player for the Mustangs this fall.
Ava Treakle

Stevenson’s Mustangs host Rowan University at home in Mustang Stadium at 7 p.m. Thursday to kick off the 2024 season. This will be a rematch of last year’s 20-17 Stevenson victory.

The key factor in this game will be younger players stepping up and filling in the roles of players who graduated last year. 

On the defensive side of the ball, three starters are returning and four players who had some playing time last year are making the jump to becoming a starter this year. The rest of the defense are all new starters.

This new unit is led by middle linebacker Gavin Shields. He is coming off a stellar junior season, leading the Mustangs in total tackles with 73 and solo tackles with 46. He also contributed 13 tackles for loss (TFL), seven passes deflected, one forced fumble and one interception that he returned for a touchdown.

Next to Shields is Calrence Travis, another middle linebacker coming off an amazing junior season. He led the Mustangs in forced fumbles with three, along with 63 total tackles, 39 solo tackles, 8.5 TFL, two passes deflected and an interception that he made against Rowan. The defense is looking to improve this year by making more plays than last year and building off the backs of Shields and Travis.  

Offensively, there will be six new starters for the opening game. Most of the new starters are the skill positions, three new wide receivers, a new running back, and new tight end. The running back is Louis Clouser, who didn’t start the first few games but made himself known when he moved into the starting position. Clouser led the Mustangs rushing attack with 686 rushing yards and tallied 8 touchdowns. He also added 165 carries, averaging 4.2 yards per carry and 68.6 yards per game. Clouser also contributed 13 pass receptions for 139 yards with an average of 10.7 yards per catch. 

The offense is led by quarterback Nyaire Wilson, who led the Mustangs last season with 2,045 passing yards and 12 touchdowns with 11 interceptions. He completed 56% of his passes going 150-of-269 and added on 66 carries for 111 yards and a touchdown.   

Stevenson looks to dominate this game against a non-conference opponent and start their season 1-0. 

About the Contributors
Connor Bonicky
Connor Bonicky, Reporter
​Connor is a sophomore communication studies major with a minor in marketing. He is from Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. In addition to writing for The Villager, he spends his free time watching football, listening to music, hanging out with his friends and being with his family. In the future, Connor wants to become a sports broadcaster or a sports journalist.
Ava Treakle
Ava Treakle, Sports Editor
Ava is a sophomore business administration major on a sports management track with a minor in photography. She is from Fredericksburg, Virginia and is a member of the Stevenson women's lacrosse and track teams. In the future Ava wants to become a sports journalist and photographer. She currently works as the Villager's sports editor.