Categories:

Students face housing crunch as the first-year enrollment surges past projections  

First-year Makenzie Miller lives with her roommate in a converted single room for a discounted price.
Katie Campbell

Stevenson University welcomed 778 freshmen to the university this fall, 78 more than their original goal. With this increase in students, the resident halls have begun to fill up, currently holding 1784 students.    

This surge in first-year enrollment has created a housing crunch on campus, resulting in some students being placed into smaller, less-than-ideal dorm rooms. However, according to the Vice President of Student Affairs, Andre Williams, the buildings’ capacity is 2000. This is made possible by turning single rooms into double rooms and offering them at a discounted price.  

“For a discounted rate, some students opted for a smaller double room, and some elected to have their beds raised so that they could put their desks under the bed,” Williams said. “This is a common practice for space savings. If a student wants anything added or changed in their room, they only need to put in a facilities ticket, and we are more than happy to accommodate their requests.” 

First-year Makenzie Miller accepted one of these altered rooms.  

“Being assigned to the double wasn’t shocking, but being in a single that is [turned into] a double definitely was, as I found out on move-in day,” Miller said.  

Although it is common to maximize dormitory space in this way, the transition may be uncomfortable initially for some students.  

“When we did room checks, the beds were very close to each other, some rooms only had one desk available, and they had the dressers underneath their bed, which was probably very inconvenient for people that bring a lot of stuff in,” an anonymous resident assistant (RA) said. 

Any maintenance problems in the residential halls should be reported to the facilities office by submitting a Help Desk ticket. After hours emergency maintenance service is available by calling Campus Safety at 443-352-4500. If there are any other concerns regarding your dorm, please speak with your RA and they can point you in the right direction.  

About the Contributors
JaMiya Thompson
JaMiya Thompson, News Editor
JaMiya is a junior business communication major from Baltimore, Maryland. In addition to writing for The Villager, she enjoys songwriting, singing and spending time with family. She is excited to cover the people and organizations that make up the Stevenson community.
Katie Campbell
Katie Campbell, Editor-in-Chief
Katie is a sophomore nursing major from Bethesda, Maryland. In addition to journalism, she enjoys playing and coaching soccer. As Editor-in-Chief of the Villager, she is excited to capture the unique and inspiring stories of the Stevenson community.