Categories:

Stevenson hosts Beach Collegiate Challenge

Anthony Pezzino and Ryan Thenell are the first two players on the Men’s Beach Volleyball team to make it to Sunday
Pezzino and Thenell celebrate a won point in their semi-final game against LMU
Ava Treakle

Stevenson hosted the Beach Collegiate Challenge this past weekend drawing in schools from around the country. Stevenson had three pairs participate in this tournament – one pair cementing themselves in the history for the Men’s Beach Volleyball team.  

Stevenson’s first pair was fourth-year Tim Flanagan and graduate student John Ferraro. The duo started the tournament placed as the seventh seed out of 32 teams.  

To start the tournament, they would go 3-0 in pool play without dropping a set. Flanagan and Ferrero looked unbeatable heading into the playoffs. The duo would advance to the playoffs but lose to Wentworth Institute of Technology’s (WIT) second team in three sets. WIT would go on to finish fourth in the tournament. 

Fourth-year Jacob Sledz and third-year Kevin Kouchoukos create the pair for the third team. They came into the tournament as the 17th seed and finished tied for 17th. The duo would go 1-3 over the weekend, earning a win over Vassar’s third team in their last match of pool play. They would go on to play WIT in the first round of playoffs but would unfortunately come up short. 

Pezzino receives an LMU serve. (Ava Treakle)

Second-year Anthony Pezzino and fourth-year Ryan Thenell spearheaded the second team, and started the weekend as the 21st seed. Thenell and Pezzino would start off 2-0 as they went on to face their biggest threat in Webber International University (WIU) as WIU was ranked as the number five seed in the tournament. This game presented them with a chance to go undefeated and automatically go into the second round of the playoffs.  

“I think that pressure is what enabled Ant and I to make the biggest comeback I’ve ever made in my volleyball career. Down 18 to 13 while down a set to the first seed in our pool,” Thenell said. 

Thenell serves during the history-making Sunday match. (Ava Treakle)

They won that match in three sets, then would go onto face NGU’s second team in the second round. Thenell and Pezzino would win that match in three sets then go onto meet their successor and eventual winner of the tournament Lewis/LMU. The pair would lose the match in two sets.  

“It’s a pretty good feeling getting fifth and being the first Stevenson pair to make to Sunday in this event ever. Also, it’s a good feeling for both Ryan and I and set the standard for what’s to come for the rest of the season,” Pezzino said.  

Thenell and Pezzino first became partners halfway through last year’s season. They have built great chemistry and partnership for the time being. The duo looks to build off last year’s success as it seemed to carry over this past weekend. 

“It is awesome to see Ryan and Anthony showcase their talent and all of the hard work that they have put in so far this season. They have built a great partnership with each other since first becoming partners halfway through last season,” head coach Ian Capp said.  

Capp is entering his second year of being head coach for the Men’s Beach Volleyball team and is looking for this year to be the best season the team has ever had. He goes onto talk about his expectations for the team this season.  

“As we gear up for our first official matches on September 27th and 28th, the team and I expect nothing less than success. We have worked so hard this pre-season, and we have a deeper roster than we have ever had to come up short this season. We will continue to practice hard and efficiently to make sure that this is the best season yet for Stevenson Men’s Beach Volleyball,” 

Their team opens their season on September 27 where they host Liberty University and Erskine College at Mustang Beach. They will play Liberty at 2 p.m. and then Erskine later in the day at 8 p.m.  

About the Contributors
Connor Bonicky
Connor Bonicky, Reporter
​Connor is a sophomore communication studies major with a minor in marketing. He is from Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. In addition to writing for The Villager, he spends his free time watching football, listening to music, hanging out with his friends and being with his family. In the future, Connor wants to become a sports broadcaster or a sports journalist.
Ava Treakle
Ava Treakle, Sports Editor
Ava is a sophomore business administration major on a sports management track with a minor in photography. She is from Fredericksburg, Virginia and is a member of the Stevenson women's lacrosse and track teams. In the future Ava wants to become a sports journalist and photographer. She currently works as the Villager's sports editor.