Women’s soccer prepares to finish strong

Womens soccer prepares to finish strong
SABINA MORAN

The women’s soccer team is looking to get back on track after a tough start with an overtime loss and two overtime ties in the first half of their season.

Stevenson goalkeeper Keegan Caffrey dives to stop an ensuing opponent’s shot on the goal. (Photo by Sabina Moran)

Despite a losing record, the mustangs battle with their competition losing by only one goal in four out of the last seven defeats.

Head coach Tati Korba is preparing her team for conference play as the season is winding down. “The main goal for the rest of the season is to win the important games and then focus to win the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC),” said Korba.

No one game is more important than the other, she added. “Every game is important from here on out, as 5 of 6 games left to play are in conference,” said Korba. The team is currently 2 – 2 in the conference, with their last victory being against Hood College on Oct. 10.

The team is looking forward to showcase what they prepared for all season long as a number of players are returning from injuries.

Sophomore forward Melanie Parncutt said it’s been a battle all season, but it’s good to get players back when they are needed most, including junior Marissa Inglisa, as she returns after a five-game absence.

Parncutt added that the Mustangs have played some very competitive teams and with more conference games coming, the team has to be prepared to battle for a spot in the playoffs.

This year’s team has only two seniors, but they are excited for the opportunity to excel in the next couple games on the schedule, said Parncutt.

Allison Arters dribbles up field looking to take a strike on the goal. (Photo by Sabina Moran)

Korba believes in her team, and explained that her goal for the rest of the season is to stay focused, especially during conference games if the Mustangs want a chance to compete and win the MAC.

Of the six final games, three of them are home which gives the mustangs added momentum in competition. The remaining road games are at Lebanon Valley, Albright and Widener.

The 1-0 win on Oct. 6 over Lycoming on the road is giving Stevenson added momentum as they head into the end of the season. The win, which was the Mustangs’ first MAC Commonwealth victory this season, saw GK Keegan Caffrey grab eight saves. She has 38 over her last four games.

Additionally, according to gomustangsports.com, for the eighth time in the last nine seasons, the team was a recipient of the United Soccer Coaches Team Academic Award for the 2017-18 academic year, one of 484 collegiate women’s teams  who earned the Team Academic Award. The Mustangs were one of three teams from the Middle Atlantic Commonwealth Conference to be honored.