Admissions adjusts process during pandemic

COVID-19 has affected many aspects of Stevenson University’s operations, including the college admissions process, which has had to make some difficult changes in order to navigate pandemic life.  

Social distancing has made it difficult for colleges to attract and market themselves prospective students. Alyssa Dahle, a senior specialist in the office of Admissions, said that open houses, high school career fairs, and on-campus tours were an integral part of drawing students to Stevenson University. 

To adapt to this new challenge, the Office of Admissions has made virtual tours with audio for prospective students to get a better idea for the campus during the recruiting process.  

According to stevenson.edu/admissions-aid, the main page for the admissions, prospective students and their families can sign up for a virtual tour and have the opportunity to hear from a Stevenson student or staff member about academic buildings, residence halls, and all that our campus has to offer. 

They also held virtual meetings and interviews with students as a way to connect on a personal level. Dahle noted that being a smaller school that values providing a personalized student experience and welcoming community is not always easy to convey in a virtual setting. 

The Office of Admissions is also holding Virtual Daily Visits, which are virtual information sessions starting at 3 p.m. and offered on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and at 10 a.m. on most Saturdays. Attendees will learn about Stevenson’s mission, admissions process, and academic programs during an interactive information session, according to stevenson.edu/admissions-aid.  

Other offerings include virtual counselor calls, virtual open houses, and virtual transfer Tuesdays for transfer students.  

Additionally, a majority of printed marketing materials that used are typically mailed have been converted to electronic versions with the same information.  

Ambassador tour guides give socially distanced tours on campus. (Photo from Mark Hergan)

“Having to utilize the virtual realm as much as possible during this time has just added another touchpoint to our recruitment process that we will continue to use in a post-pandemic world,” said Dahle.  

For example, the virtual tours will stay available online for those who prefer that option, or if the prospective students are out of state or international.  

In a virtual world where everything changes daily, it is important to have some positive takeaways to highlight. Looking back, Dahle believes the pandemic has compelled the Office of Admissions to take on new methods and initiatives more quickly than they would have without. 

In order to find out more information on the Stevenson University Office of Admissions or sign up for any of the virtual events being held, visit stevenson.edu/admissions-aid.  

––Edited by Rysleigh Reeves