Stevenson men’s volleyball improves to 3-3 after undefeated weekend

First-year head coach Jason Gardner earned his first career win in Friday’s match against Roanoke College
Stevenson mens volleyball earning their first win of the season over Roanoke College
Stevenson men’s volleyball earning their first win of the season over Roanoke College
Ava Treakle

Stevenson men’s volleyball pulled out their first win of the season against Roanoke College on Friday, sweeping the Maroons in 3 sets. Continuing their success, the team traveled to Kean University in New Jersey, where they swept SUNY New Paltz 3-0, and beat Kean 3-1.

Tim Flanagan is off to a tremendous start this season with 127 kills through first 6 games (Ava Treakle)

It was a weekend full of standout performances, with a spotlight on junior Tim Flanagan. The 6’4” outside hitter leads the MAC in kills per set, tallying 61 kills over the last three games with a .520 hitting percentage against Roanoke College and .500 against New Paltz. Flanagan also contributed 4 blocks against New Paltz and 22 digs over the weekend. The string of impressive performance earned Flanagan the MAC offensive player of the week award.

Classmate Ryan Thenell had a big weekend with 27 kills and a .500 hitting percentage against New Paltz. Thenell was also a main contributor from the service line with 7 aces over the weekend. Another serving standout was senior Micah Ernest with 4 aces against Roanoke College. 

Other key contributors include middle blockers Elliot De La Torre and Aidan O’Brien. De La Torre contributed 17 total kills and a .500 hitting percentage in the Mustang’s match against Kean. He also added 5 total blocks for the weekend. O’Brien also had a big hitting weekend with 19 total kills and a .500 percentage game of his own against New Paltz. The 6’3” senior also contributed 7 blocks over the three games.  

Senior setter Justin Novoa has tallied 271 assists in just 24 sets (Ava Treakle)

The team has benefitted early from impressive performances out of its first-year players. Outside hitter Anthony Pezzino was a key player on both offense and defense. The 6’2” freshman contributed 25 total kills and 40 total digs across the three games, putting him atop the conference in digs per set. Classmate Tanner Laukhuff was another key defensive player at the libero position, adding 26 digs to the stat sheet.  

Senior Justin Novoa continues to be a backbone for the Mustang’s offense, with 136 total assists and only 1 error over the three games at the setter position. Novoa comfortably leads the conference in assists per set with an average of 11.29.

Stevenson will aim to continue their winning streak during their next game against No. 3 ranked Southern Virginia University. Tune in on Friday, February 9th at 7 p.m. as the Mustangs take on the Knights in the Owings Mills Gymnasium.