Stevenson softball ready to swing into regular season

The Mustangs huddle together before a game last year.
Sabina Moran

Stevenson softball is ready for Opening Day, and the time to take the field this Wednesday could not come any sooner.

The Mustangs have been successful on the field over the last few years, finishing with a winning record in each of their last three seasons. Last season ended with a devastating loss to York College in the MAC Commonwealth Championships 3-0.

They vow to not let that happen again, and the league thinks very highly of the program right now. The Mustangs were selected fourth in the MACC coaches’ poll to begin the season.  

Key returners for the Mustangs include: 

• 2x MACC First Team and 1x MAC Second Team senior outfielder Maddie Bosley 
  • 1x MACC Second Team senior infielder McKenzie Tobler  
  • 1X MACC Honorable Mention junior outfielder Liz Russo 

Conference play for the Mustangs is set to begin fairly soon. Six of their first ten games of the season are against MAC Commonwealth opponents, including a marquee matchup against York College, the preseason favorites for the conference.  

For Bosley, the early conference matches are a nice challenge, and the preparation has been thorough in practice.  

Maddie Bosley - 2023 - Softball - Stevenson University
Maddie Bosley swings at a pitch during the 2023 season. Photo courtesy of Sabina Moran.

“We get ready for these games by using our time at practice or on our own time to make sure we get our work in the best we can,” Bosley said. “It is weird starting conference play earlier than others but having scrimmages and game-like situations during practice help us build our physical and mental readiness towards game day.” 

Bosley, in her final season with the Mustangs, has high hopes for the season and is ready to give it her all. 

“My overall mindset for going into senior year is enjoying every day and making every game and practice count. It’s my last year and I believe I’m saving for the best for last,” Bosley said. 

Bosley’s leadership is crucial, as a big lineup of first-years will be joining the Mustangs in 2024. Tobler is ecstatic about the new group and the fact that they have bought right into the team’s goals.  

“Unity and competitiveness are two of the team’s goals this season,” Tobler said. “We have a brand-new group of girls who have really meshed well as a group. We want to translate that great team connection on the field.”  

Staying competitive is a huge focus for the Mustangs.

“We want to be ready to go every pitch. With our positive team energy, our talent, and that competitive edge, good things can come our way this season,” Tobler said.  

McKenzie Tobler - 2023 - Softball - Stevenson University
McKenzie Tobler rips a ball down the third base line during a game last year. Photo courtesy of Sabina Moran.

The chemistry team is thriving already and is improving every day. Tobler loves the energy that the team brings but knows at any moment the team can lock in on the task ahead of them.  

“I think our biggest team strength is our energy,” she said. “We have a group of girls who are always laughing and having fun but know when to dial in.I love that relaxed but competitive environment. We all want to see each other succeed, which is all you can ask for. We are just eager to get the season started and show the hard work we have been putting in as a team.”  

It is safe to say the softball team is ready for their opener. They are set to face Notre Dame of Maryland at home tomorrow, March 5, in a doubleheader. First pitches are at 2 and 4 p.m. respectively. If you cannot make the games in person, the stream link for the game can be found here.