Once a Mustang, Always a Mustang

Seniors are preparing for graduation and looking ahead to life after SU; a few May 2024 seniors post-grad plans
Once a Mustang, Always a Mustang

Summer vacation is a highlight in every student’s year, but there comes a point when summer vacation turns into paid time off and vacation days.

After 16 long years of textbooks, lectures, and exams, students are sent out into the real world to apply all that they have learned and begin the next step of the rest of their lives.

Excited, nervous, anxious, and impatient are a few adjectives to describe the position the Stevenson University graduating class of 2024 feels about receiving their diploma and entering whatever their next stage of life may be.

For some, graduation means starting their career; for others, graduation implies freedom to do or go wherever they please.

Here are a few soon-to-be Stevenson alumni and their post-graduation plans:

Bella Beck

Bella Beck is a film and moving image major who specializes in cinematography and editing. She is well-known in the Stevenson athletic community for her work with GoMustangSports.

Specializing in sports video editing, Beck has a decorated resume, including independent work as a cinematographer and editor for USA Lacrosse and the Washington Spirit, interning in video production for the Naval Academy Athletics, logging videos for the Baltimore Ravens, and working as the video production intern at Phocus Video Communications.

Post-graduation, Beck has secured a position with the Baltimore Orioles as the creative video intern. She will live locally in Baltimore with her best friend and fellow 2024 Stevenson graduate, Emma Trimble, who also works for the Orioles as a social media intern. The friends hope to get a cat once they settle into their new home.

“I highly recommend getting involved with the Stevenson broadcast team or social team, especially if you’re interested in sports,” Beck said. “It offers diverse creative opportunities to film, edit, and stream games, providing a solid foundation in the sports industry.

Ebony Woodbury

Ebony Woodbury is graduating in the spring with a degree in business communication. You’ve likely seen her interviewing members of the Stevenson community on StevieTV.

Woodbury has been an incredibly active student during her time at Stevenson. Throughout her college career, Woodbury has successfully completed four internships. She began as the hospitality intern at Hillwood Country Club, then the event services intern at the American Trucking Associations, and then the communications intern at Maryland Public Television. She is currently approaching the two-year mark as a student assistant marketing intern for Stevenson University.

“Having this many internships definitely prepared me for a career post-college,” said Woodbury. “More than just the skills I’ve learned, but it gave me an idea of what working in the real world is like.”

Woodbury credits Kelly Fewster, Senior Career Advisor at the Career Connection Center and her professor Sonya Lawyer with helping her find internships.

“The Career Connection Center has been really helpful. I’ve been working with Kelly Fewster since last year, and she’s really helped me develop my resume and narrow my job search,” said Woodbury. “Some of my professors at Stevenson have helped me find and secure internships. For example, Sonya Lawyer helped me with my internship at Maryland Public Television and at Stevenson in their marketing department.”

For students who have yet to have an internship, Woodbury commends the courses that mimic the experience you would gain while completing one. Specifically, courses like The Mill Agency and Integrated Marketing Communication allow students to work on projects with actual clients in a collaborative environment.

Currently searching for a sales, marketing, or other related position in the DMV area, Woodbury plans to stay close to her life in Maryland after she graduates.

Aidan O’Brien

Ava Treakle

Aidan O’Brien is a marketing major with a professional minor in entrepreneurship and small business development. He’s also a four-year starter on the men’s volleyball team and an inaugural member of the men’s beach volleyball team.

During the Summer of 2023, O’Brien worked as a marketing intern for the Bucks County Industrial Development Authority in his home state of Pennsylvania, where his duties included running their social media campaigns and attending monthly board meetings.

O’Brien credits the Career Connection Center’s career fairs and business mixers for giving him a place to practice talking to business professionals. Attending these events made him more comfortable going into interviews and the application process.

Post-graduation, O’Brien plans to pursue a job in marketing, specifically market research or analytics. He’s deciding between moving back home to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or staying local in Owings Mills. Once immersed in the professional world, he plans to move somewhere warm, like Florida, where he can enjoy the beach, unlimited volleyball, and hot weather.

“I love Stevenson. This has been my home for four years, and I learned a lot about myself and how I’ve grown as a player, leader, and person,” O’Brien said. “I’ll never forget the amazing people and awesome experiences I’ve had as a Mustang.”

Olivia Simon

Olivia Simon will also be graduating in May with a degree in healthcare management and a minor in marketing. She has been a four-year member of the women’s indoor and beach volleyball teams.

Simon was an intern at MedChi, The Maryland State Medical Society, during the summer of 2023 and was later hired in a part-time position as a population health policy analyst. Her primary responsibilities include working with the Episode Quality Improvement Program (EQIP).

Post-graduation, Simon aims to secure a full-time position at MedChi as the Episode Quality Improvement Program practice transformation specialist. She will also simultaneously be completing her master’s degree in healthcare management through Stevenson University’s Bachelor’s to Master’s program. Her end goal is to work in clinical operations or quality management.

Stevenson has played a significant role in guiding Simon’s career path. The department’s professors have real experience in the industry and offer valuable insight into the healthcare management majors’ educations.

Simon specifically mentions one of her former professors, Gene Ransom, CEO of MedChi. Ransom introduced her to the organization through his class, which led to her seeking the internship and eventually her current position at MedChi.

“My time at Stevenson University has been excellent,” Simon said. “The University has supported me throughout my four years of study, which has been essential to my success as a student-athlete in and outside the classroom. I have also had many valuable experiences with my professors, classmates, coaches, and teammates that have prepared me for life after college.”