Women’s lacrosse beats Privateers for fourth win last five games

Stevenson continues winning ways against SUNY Maritime 20-10; Yarusso leads Mustangs with 6 goals and 3 assists
Womens lacrosse celebrating after beating Maritime 20-10 winning their fourth in last five.
Women’s lacrosse celebrating after beating Maritime 20-10 winning their fourth in last five.
Sabina Moran

Young teams always have an adjustment period to develop their chemistry as a season gets underway. For Stevenson women’s lacrosse, it seems they’ve found their rhythm.

“We’ve all gotten super close this season and now especially after our spring break trip the chemistry is so good. We really understand each other on and off the field and these girls are some of my best friends,” first-year attack/midfielder Ava Treakle said.

First-year attacker/midfielder Ava Treakle (No. 7) is loving the team chemistry keeping the Mustangs going strong. (Grant DeVivo)

These green and white have been able to string together wins in four out of their last five games. This one was no different as they beat State University of New York Maritime College 20-10.

Senior attacker Kara Yarusso led Stevenson with 6 goals and 3 assists. Junior midfielder Isabelle VanEmburgh, graduate student defense/midfielder Sophia Murray, and Treakle each added 3 goals.

Goalie Anna Johnston sealed the victory compiling 3 saves in 30 minutes. Regan Torbert shut out Maritime during her 15 minutes in goal as well.

“I am so grateful that I get to share the field with her this year, she just amazes me every time she touches the ball,” Treakle said referring to Yarusso who led the Mustangs with a total of 9 points in the game.

Looking to continue their winning ways, Stevenson dominated right from the start, jumping out to a 3-0 lead within the first five minutes of the game. As a result of this sloppy start by SUNY Maritime, Stevenson forces a Privateer timeout.

Despite the Privateers stoppage, Stevenson continued to dominate by winning several draws and scoring 4 more goals, separating to a strong 7-0 lead.

While on this 7-0 run, five different Mustangs found the back of the net. Erin Steinburg and Kellyann Coccia scored 2 goals a piece, while Murray, VanEmburgh, and Yarusso each had one a piece during the run.

“We had a variety of different goal scorers and we had people working hard all over the field.

— Kara Yarusso

By this point of the game, Stevenson outshot SUNY Maritime 11-0. They did not allow a shot until 3:06 remaining in the first quarter when junior defender Kiera Ford struck first for the Privateers with one second remaining on the shot clock.

The Privateers were battling back and forth in the first five minutes of the second but ultimately, scored just 2 more goals, cutting into Stevenson’s lead 7-3.

Stevenson adjusted thanks to a save by sophomore goalie Anna Johnston. With the ball back in Mustang possession, the Privateers allowed them to go on another offensive tear.

Over the second 7-0 run, three Mustangs scored including Yarusso yet again who scored 3 in the run, Steinberg with 2 more on the day and Treakle with 1.

Halftime presented little time for the Privateers to adjust leading to a yellow card early in the second half committed by sophomore defender Mia Brandenstien at the 14:01 mark of the quarter.

Stevenson capitalized and Treakle scored assisted by Yarusso bringing the score to 15-3 with the 12:30 to go in the quarter and complete her hat trick.

Maritime however answered, causing a Mustang turnover around the 10:29 mark and converting a free position goal by junior midfielder Morgan Tracy making it a 15-4 game.

Senior midfielder Kara Yarusso was proud of her team’s effort versus SUNY Maritime. (Sabina Moran)

Nearly, five whole minutes elapsed between ground ball pickups, shots on goal and turnovers before a Stevenson free position goal scored by sophomore attack/midfielder Marisa Massimini, her first goal of the season.

As the third quarter drew to a close, Maritime would try to get their offensive juices flowing with a 3-goal run to make it 16-7.

Draw controls were the name of game as Murray won another, allowing the ‘Stangs to answer, leading 17-7 with 13:06 to go in the game.

Maritime tried to cut into Stevenson’s lead scoring two more goals making the score 17-9, but Stevenson answers right back thanks Yarusso, her sixth goal of the game assisted by senior attacker Bailey Krahl with five minutes to go in the game making it 18-9.

Maritime scores a free position goal thanks to senior attacker Emily Commodore, but Stevenson defense doesn’t allow another goal, scores two more shutting the door on the Privateers.

Overall, Stevenson was dominant in almost every category, outshooting the Privateers 37-20, winning the turnover battle 9-4, and picking up more ground balls 21-11.

“We had tons of ground balls on the defensive end. I think overall we out-hustled them,” Yarusso said.

With this win, Stevenson climbs to a .500 record at 4-4.

“There is still more work to do and we are just going to continue to get better each day, but the win was a great morale boost” said Yarusso when talking about the game overall and what the team is looking forward to.

Their next game is on the road against the Eagles from the University of Mary Washington on Friday March 29, at 5 p.m. Livestream will be available here.

Stevenson Women’s Lacrosse Next Five Home Games

Rowan University April 4th, 7 p.m.
Eastern University April 6th, 2:30 p.m.*
Hood College April 10th, 7 p.m.*
York College of Pennsylvania April 17th, 7 p.m.*
Albright College April 24th, 7 p.m.*

*MAC conference game