Arts Alive! Spring Concert Series just two weeks away

Stevenson University’s music department to host their annual concerts at the Inscape Theater starting April 25
The Greenspring Valley Orchestra performing at the spring 2023 ArtsAlive! concert series.
Chloe Seluchins

If you like music and appreciate the arts, you won’t want to miss the three upcoming performances at the Inscape Theater on Stevenson University’s Greenspring Campus.

Whether it be a display of artistic or musical excellence, the Arts Alive! Spring Concert Series will be showcasing a wide range of talents from skilled Stevenson students.

The University Singers and Ukulele Ensemble will be performing on Thursday, April 25 at 7 p.m. The Spring Band Concert, consisting of the Stevenson Color Guard, dance, Percussion Ensemble, and Concert Band, will take place the following Monday, April 29 at 8 p.m. Finally, the Greenspring Valley Orchestra will take the stage Sunday, May 5 at 4 p.m.

Junior Rowan Brooks and graduate Alex Pinetta preparing for the last year’s ArtsAlive! Concert series. (Rowan Brooks)

When asked about the upcoming concerts, Director of Music Dr. Mark Lortz said, “These concerts showcase the diversity, talent, and creativity of the university community, promising to inspire and leave a lasting impression on all attendees through melody, harmony, rhythm, movement, and visual spectacle.”

Students and faculty have been spending countless hours preparing for the upcoming performances. Junior Rowan Brooks, for example, has spent time preparing for not only the University Singers performance, but to also perform in the Concert Band.

“My favorite part of each ensemble is experiencing the talent of each member of every group and getting the chance to work with that talent,” Brooks said.

The Stevenson University music program impacts students beyond just receiving a class credit. The students put in hard work and get to practice collaboration and creativity.

Brooks said, “Performing feels like second nature to me. Whether it’s dancing, singing, or playing an instrument, I’ve always wanted to entertain people and make them smile.”

Dr. Lortz feels that music is a powerful tool that is worth cultivating.

“It’s rewarding to witness the growth of students and their passion for music on stage,” Dr. Lortz said. “Ultimately, witnessing the transformative power of music is a testament to the importance of arts education and its impact on individuals and communities.”

For more information on Arts Alive! and their full event schedule, visit here.