Stevenson women’s beach volleyball continues dominance, winning 3 of 4 this past weekend

The Mustangs have now improved their record to 18-6 on the season with only one loss to a Division III opponent.
Makala Thompson (right) and Nicolette Fuglestad (left) celebrate a point during a match last year. The pair will be back together this weekend. Photo courtesy of nic.fuglestad on Instagram.

Stevenson women’s beach volleyball continued their strong play this past weekend. The Mustangs traveled to Lynchburg, Virginia where they won 3 of 4 including a victory over Division I Liberty University in the first duel of the weekend.  

Junior Makala Thompson was big for the Mustangs last weekend. After one member of the No. 5 pair Giulia Viglietta did not travel with injury, Thompson was the replacement.  

Sophomore Nicolette Fuglestad flies after a ball during a match last year (Instagram – @stevenson_wvb)

Thompson stepped up in a big way as she and partner Miranda Mueck finished with a 3-1 record on the weekend. Thompson attributed the success to great communication between Mueck and herself. 

“I think the key to being successful with a new partner is communication and adaptability,” Thompson said. “Miranda and I had never played with each other before, so we focused on communicating and adapting our styles of play to work with each other.” 

Thompson will have to adapt once again this weekend at home in the Stevenson Invitational. Because of the absence of senior Taylor Jones this weekend, Thompson will be paired with sophomore Nicolette Fuglestad.  

However, it likely won’t be as stressful as Thompson and Fuglestad have a well-established history together.  

Last year, the duo was partnered up as the No. 3 pair and had a very successful season, finishing with a 20-12 record. For Thompson, it is all about getting the chemistry from last year back.

Sima Kahoussi dives after a ball during a match in Florida. (Caleigh Bernota)

“My mindset is to focus on my game and playing the best I can,” Thompson said. “Nicolette and I do have experience playing together so I think if we focus on playing our game, we will find the chemistry we had last year.”  

This week is especially important for the women’s beach team as this is the first time they have played a home tournament this season. They have been away for the past five consecutive weeks and the players are ready for the comforts of home.  

For first-year players on the team, this is the first time competing on Mustang Beach.  

Sima Kahoussi, who plays on the No. 3 pair with senior Caleigh Bernota, is a first-year who can’t wait for the festivities to begin this weekend. 

“I am very excited for this weekend,” Kahoussi said. “There are a lot of exciting events going on during the tournament like senior day and the tailgate. I am looking forward to being a part of those experiences as well as playing. I am glad we are playing at home because it is familiar, so I have a comfortable mindset and am looking forward to playing.”  

The Mustangs will begin action this Friday, April 5, at 10 a.m. against Erskine College at Mustang Beach. They will play another match at 4 p.m. Friday before completing the weekend with 12 and 4 p.m. matches on Saturday. All games will be livestreamed on the GoMustangSports channel.