Stevenson Student Athletic Advisory Committee to host first Mustang Field Day

The inaugural event will take place at Mustang Stadium Sunday, April 28 at 11 a.m.

Stevenson’s Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC) is excited to debut Mustang Field Day on Sunday at 11 a.m. when spectators will be able to watch SU coaches and athletes face off outside of their typical sports.

Complete with multiple rounds of fun competition, concessions, and vendors like Auntie Anne’s and a Gatorade hydration tent, the event looks to be enjoyable for competitors and spectators alike.

Plenty of spectator seating will be available with competition taking place on the field at Mustang Stadium (GoMustangSports)

After a draft by SAAC executive board members on April 9, the competition field was set for a series of classic field day challenges. The day’s format includes seven rounds of competition in which teams will face off against each other in one of seven games.

The games include:

• Three-Legged Race
  • Water Balloon Toss
  • Obstacle Course
  • Sack Race
  • Soccer Penalty Shootout
  • Mustang Trashketball — Large-scale trash can cup pong
  • 40-yard Dash

After the first seven rounds, teams will enter playoffs where the final two battles commence: Tug-of-war and Dodgeball. Playoffs are single elimination and will be based off seeding from team performances in the first seven rounds.

Aidan O’Brien is also a member of the men’s beach and indoor volleyball teams (SABINA_MORAN)

SAAC Vice President of Unification and captain of the pink team Aidan O’Brien played a major role in planning Sunday’s event.

“The things that come with being a student-athlete in college can bring a lot of stress and pressure,” O’Brien said. “I think this event provides a fun and stress-free environment for student-athletes to all come together, especially seniors who are leaving at the end of this year.”

SAAC members hope to create a lasting tradition that expands for even more students to enjoy year after year.

“This year we tried to incorporate teams of non-athletes as well but weren’t able to make it happen,” said O’Brien, a senior on the men’s volleyball team. “In the future, I hope it could grow and one day include the whole Stevenson community, not just student-athletes. It’s good to get an opportunity at the end of the year to have fun and be a kid again.”