A series of summer events in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia (DMV) area offer something for every taste. These gatherings range from family friendly to adult only, ensuring that there is fun scheduled for everyone.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
The Washington, D.C. area has a wide variety of summer festivals and concerts for those who like live music entertainment and food. On Saturday, June 2, BBU enterprise/Family First promotions will host the DMV Summer Jam from 3 p.m.- 3 a.m. This 12-hour event will include two separate concerts: the first for all ages from 3-8 p.m., and the second for those who are 18 and over from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. This event will be located at the Karma DC Live Music Venue in Northeast Washington. For details about ticket prices, visit Eventbrite.com and type in “DMV Summer Jam 2018.”
Other festivals and events located in D.C. this summer include the following:.
- The rooftop edition of the summer cookout series sponsored by Dr. Chronic DC & Free Society Entertainment on May 12 from 3-9 p.m.
- The Hookie DC Ultimate Caribbean Pool Party on June 22 from noon-8 p.m.
- The 2018 Major League Baseball All-Star FanFest from July 13-17 at Washington Nationals Park and the Walter E. Washington Convention Center
- Summer 2018 Worship Experience sponsored by LiftEmUp Today on July 27 and 28 at 3 p.m.
Additional information about these events can be found on Eventbrite.com and Washington.org.
Enjoy steamed crabs and other seafood favorites from the Chesapeake Bay at the St. Mary’s Crab Festival on June 9 held at the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds in Leonardtown, Maryland. This family event will host a car show, bike show, and live music. Call 301-475-8384 for more information about this event.
Linganore Winery will host a summer reggae wine festival on July 21 from 10 a.m-6 p.m. in Mt. Airy, Maryland. This “one love” event will get together all those over 21 to feel all right with the smooth vibe of reggae music and wine tasting. Tickets are now on sale at www.linganorewines.com/event/reggae-wine-festival/.
Merriweather Post Pavilion will host part one of the Summer Spirit Festival on August 4 at 1 p.m. for adults and children of all ages. This concert event will feature Hip-Hop and R&B artists including Rapsody, Redman & Method Man, Nas, and Erykah Badu. Ticket prices range from $60 to $250. For more information, visit merriweathermusic.com and type in “2018 Summer Spirit Festival” in the search box.
Other events in Maryland this summer include the following:
- The Ocean City Air Show on June 16 and 17 in Ocean City, Maryland
- Fourth of July Fireworks at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Maryland.
For additional information about these two events, go to visitmaryland.org and type in “summer events.”
Bring your family and pets out to the 11th annual Summer Solstice Fest on Saturday, June 16 from 1-11 p.m. in Blacksburg, Virginia. This event will include a dog parade, a petting zoo, a solstice craft market, and a sand beach party. This festival is also handicap friendly for those in wheelchairs or with special needs. Visit Virginia.org/Listings/Events/SummerSolsticeFest for pricing information.
Come out and enjoy the culture of fiddling at the Galax Fiddlers’ Convention from August 6-11 in Galax, Virginia. Fiddle musicians and fans come from all around the world to perform and hear fiddlers at the world’s oldest and largest fiddlers’ five-day convention since 1935. This convention is presented by the Galax Moose Lodge. For more information about tickets, visit Virginia.org/Listings/Events/GalaxOldFiddlersConvention.
Other events this summer in Virginia include the following:
- The Summer Bazaar and Cookout on June 9 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Poquoson, Virginia
- The Salute to Summer three-day outdoor concert event from May 25-27 in Virginia Beach
- Z104’s Summer Shaggfest on June 16 at 4 p.m. in Virginia Beach