Villager staff summer reading suggestions

As summer approaches, The Villager staff has taken time out to share their summer reading choices.

Photo from Reading Kingdom

Kylie Handler: Jay Asher’s  “13 Reasons Why”– a novel that will give you chills and keep you guessing until the very end

Lindsay Somuah: “Don’t Settle For Safe: Embracing The Uncomfortable to Become Unstoppable” by Sarah Jakes Roberts — through intimate stories, the author writes about pain, failure, and, ultimately, happiness

Kristen Brooks: Garth Stein’s “The Art of Racing in the Rain” — the perfect book for dog lovers

Courtney Hottle: “Big Magic” by Elizabeth Gilbert and “Tuesdays With Morrie” by Mitch Albom — two books that will challenge your creativity and compassion

Dabrianna Green: “The Sellout” by Paul Beatty — an uncomfortably funny, thought-provoking satire about racial identity in America.

Ke’ra Thomas: Jen Sincero’s “You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life” — filled with inspiring and funny stories to live care-free

Gage Markley: “Wishful Drinking” by Carrie Fisher — A memoir that reveals some formerly undisclosed ‘truths’

Nathaniel LeQuang: Jon Gordan’s “The Hard Hat: 21 Ways to Be a Great Teammate” — The perfect book for anyone who plays sports

Lauren Weaver: “Do Less: A Minimalist Guide to a Simplified, Organized, and Happy Life”  by Rachel Jonat — Focuses on the simple moments in life that make it worthwhile

Jacob Miller: “All American Boys” by Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely, a novel about two high school students — one white, the other black–  and their differing perspectives on police brutality, prejudice, and preconceived notions that still exist in today’s society

Brielle Fowler: Rupi Kaur’s “Milk and Honey” — a book to heal your heart

Brendan Reynolds: Tom Rachman’s “The Imperfectionists” — the story of an English-language newspaper in Rome and the struggling lives of the people who work there

Chip Rouse: Ron Chernow’s biography, “Alexander Hamilton” — the Pulitzer-Prize-winning inspiration for the Broadway play