Artist-in-Residence to visit in February

The art and visual communication design faculty have put together another Artist-in-Residence workshop for all Stevenson University students. Sue Johnson will be this semester’s artist-in-residence.

Artist-in-residence events have taken place since 2003. Every semester, different faculty within the art and visual communication design department are asked to select an artist who will come to the university and mentor students. These workshops allow students who are interested in art-related careers to meet and interact with an artist who is flourishing in the field.

Photo by Matt Laumann
Photo by Matt Laumann

Often, the artists develop a close bond with the university. In 2011, for instance, the Artist-in-Residence was Inna Alesina, an industrial designer who trained at Parsons School of Design. Since the workshop, Alesina began teaching at Stevenson University in the School of Design.

Sue Johnson is the latest artist to be honored at the upcoming Artist-in-Residence workshop. Johnson is a visual artist who lives in Richmond, Va. She works very closely with museums, libraries, and private collectors to create collections that incorporate historical artifacts.

Lori Rubeling, professor of art/VCD in the School of Design said, “I think Sue’s portfolio and approach for including cultural critique in her work will be enlightening to Stevenson University students.”

The Artist-in-Residence event is open to all students in the university. Johnson’s portfolio will be of interest to  anyone who is genuinely interested and inspired by art should attend, according to Rubeling.

These workshops create a one-of-a-kind experience to get to know an artist and learn about a craft. The reception and lecture with Sue Johnson will be happening on Wednesday, Feb. 17, from 5:30-7p.m. in the Rockland Banquet room.