Softball improves record with wins

Stevenson’s softball team is almost halfway through their season with a record of 5-13., but regardless of their record, the team is still motivated to achieve their goals this season.

With rivals Messiah and Lebanon Valley Colleges still ahead, the team is just getting started. With hard work in the off-season, they are now strengthening their team chemistry. Senior Molly Hoyt said, “We focus a lot on mental toughness and embracing failure. It helps us overcome adversity and not fear to face challenges head on.”

Senior Kristen Mueller looks for a teammate to pass to in a Mustang's home game. (Photo by Sabina Moran)
Senior Kristen Mueller looks for a teammate during a Mustang home game. (Photo by Sabina Moran)

On March 30, the Mustangs dropped a doubleheader to No. 9 Salisbury University, 14-0 and 14-2, at the Mustangs’ home complex, the Weinberg-Fine Stadium at the JCC.

Most recently, on April 2, the Mustangs beat Lebanon Valley in two close wins, 3-2 and 6-4. Senior Tiffany Kahl had three runs and an RBI, while sophomore Kate Finnen had three RBIs.

The Mustangs are 7-13 overall and 4-2 in the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) as of April 6. Junior pitcher/second base Emily Soller leads the team with a .415 batting average through 53 at bats. The team is averaging a 5.49 ERA against their opponents’ average of 4.20, according to gomustangsports.com.

For the past five seasons, head coach Joey Lye has watched the softball program develop. Lye said the four factors that have improved include the team’s “overall fitness, overall effort, attention to detail and competitiveness.” The five seniors — Kahl, Laura Welch, Kristen Mueller, and Molly Hoyt — have instilled strong qualities in the program, according to Lye. “They have amazing leadership qualities. They have helped shaped this program into one that has an amazing culture,” she said.

Hoyt mentioned how tightly knit the team has become. “We all play together and strive to hold every player accountable to be the best they can be,” she said. Thanks to these seniors, every member is expected to put the team first, work hard and desire to win more than anything.

As the season continues, the Mustangs hope to advance to the MAC Commonwealth tournament in May. The team’s next home game will be on Saturday, April 9, against Widener at 1 p.m. at the JCC in Owings Mills.