University Singers to hold concert May 6

Director Bob Suggs wearing the chorus' new blazer. (Photo from Bob Suggs' Facebook page)
Director Dr. Robert Suggs wearing the chorus’ new blazer. (Photo from Dr. Robert Suggs’ Facebook page)

The annual spring chorus concert, La Primavera, is scheduled for May 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the Inscape Theatre. The chorus, now known as the University Singers, directed by Dr. Robert Suggs, will be joined by the Ukulele Ensemble under the direction of Jared Denhard. This show will feature a wide variety of music ranging from the early 1700s English Madrigals to 2015 pop hits. The diverse song choices will take the audience on a time-traveling journey with tasteful surprises.

The program will pay tribute to the English Madrigal, Stephen Paulus, Duke Ellington, the Dixie Cups, Leonard Cohen, Billy Joel, and a jazz rendition of the “The Sound of Music,” among others. Although the University Singers and the Ukulele Ensemble will each be performing separately during the concert, they will come together to end the show and perform Lorde’s “Royals,” according to Suggs.

University Singers' blazer logo. (Photo from Dr. Robert Suggs' Facebook page)
The University Singers’ blazer logo designed by JaNisha Cobbs. (Photo from Dr. Robert Suggs’ Facebook page)

The University Singers have been working hard during the semester to perfect this concert for their final performance. At first, certain songs were a challenge, but they have practiced twice a week to make the impossible, possible, explained Suggs. “Particularly, in the Madrigal, there are all independent roles, very technical parts, and word painting within the song. Musical sounds are trying to depict words and that is a challenge. However, they worked through it and learned the parts well.”

Suggs has been directing for the last 22 years at Stevenson. Along with the chorus concert, he also directed the Greenspring Valley Orchestra concert in May. Suggs is most excited to direct the University Singers in their brand new blazers for the first time at this performance. He urges students, “come out — it is under an hour, and it is free!” A reception will be held after the show in the theatre lobby.