Intramurals provide athletic alternative

Stevenson University offers many options for sports, and though most people know only about NCAA or club sports, intramural sports are offered as well.

intramural
Intramural sports include basketball, dodgeball, volleyball and flag football, among others. (Photo courtesy of Kris DeJesus)

Intramural sports are both competitive and noncompetitive and include flag football, kickball, basketball, dodgeball, floor hockey, racquet ball, soccer, table tennis and volleyball. Teachers, students, faculty and athletes can sign up.

There is no limit to the number of sports anyone can play, but varsity athletes may not play their varsity sports as intramural sports. Single gender and co-ed sports are offered as well.

Craig Leduc, head of intramural sports, explained, “Intramural sports are a fun way for students to be social and active without the commitment of a varsity sport.”

Intramural sports require no team practice.  Games are up to an hour long and are played mostly in the evenings on the Owings Mills campus. The league’s regular season is about four weeks long and ends with a championship game.

Matt Phillips, a member of the Stevenson NCAA baseball team, plays in the intramural flag football league, which is currently going to a championship game scheduled during the last week of October. Phillips enjoys the social aspect of intramurals, but also likes the competitive side.

“I am a competitive person, and I enjoy going out to compete in a sport that I can’t play at a varsity level,” Phillips explained.

As flag football and beach volleyball intramurals are coming to an end, indoor soccer and indoor volleyball will be starting. Registration for these sports is open from now until Oct. 20 at 5 p.m. Registration is online at the intramural sports’ website.

The website makes it easy for players to create a team or for an individual to sign up on another team. A schedule on the website shows available times for games.  In the spring, intramural sports include floor hockey and basketball.