Mathstravaganza hits Stevenson

The Stevenson University department of mathematics and physics will present Mathstravaganza on Nov. 11 from 3 – 5 p.m. in the Kevin J. Manning Academic Center on the Owings Mills North campus.

hanoi_tower-9_rings_iq302_1
The Tower of Hanoi. (Photo from kubiyagames.com)

The Mathstravaganza is an official event of the second annual 2016 Maryland STEM Festival. According to the site, the 10-day festival “provides inspirational, educational, and accessible programming in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) throughout Maryland.”

The Maryland STEM Festival, which is hosted by schools, colleges, libraries, museums, parks, businesses and other local organizations, celebrates the economic, educational and cultural impact of STEM in Maryland. Mathstravaganza is just one out of hundreds of events shining a light on STEM in Maryland.

MATHSTRAVAGANZA EVENTS

Mathstravaganza includes interactive exhibits and games that will be open for all ages with varying levels of mathematical skill. Some of the activities include a prisoner’s dilemma simulation, a giant Tower of Hanoi puzzle, the Monty Hall problem probability game, a station to create minimal surfaces with soap bubbles and much more.

“I love doing math, but I know most people aren’t in the same boat,” said Dr. Benjamin Wilson, assistant professor of mathematics, and the event’s organizer. “But when you can see math in this context as opposed to the classroom, like an English class that goes to see a play, you become a part of it and you can connect to the material.”

Although the STEM Festival was only founded in 2015, it has become Maryland’s leading STEM event.

“STEM is for everyone regardless of their background or experience, STEM is the basis for everything we do, and most importantly STEM is FUN! — The Maryland STEM Festival wants to bring that fun to every Maryland resident,” said Phil Rogofsky, festival director, in a press release.

For more information about the Mathstravaganza contact Wilson through campus email or visit the Maryland Stem Festival website to gather more information about other STEM events across Maryland.