Phi Beta Lambda to host bingo

Photo from navigocare.co.uk
Photo from navigocare.co.uk

Phi Beta Lambda, as described on the club’s website, is “a national business society that serves as the collegiate level of Future Business Leaders of America,” will host a bingo night for students in the Rockland banquet room Nov. 21 from 7-9 p.m.

phibetalambdabingo
Members of Phi Beta Lambda pose on induction night. (Photo courtesy of Adam Vorce)

“We thought it would be a cool event to have before we go away for Thanksgiving break,” said Adam Vorce, a board member of Phi Beta Lambda. There will be cake pops served and prizes awarded to those who win. The club will be collecting non-perishable canned food, as well as dollar donations for shelters.

Vorce explained that the benefits of joining Phi Beta Lambda include being an active part of the community, developing strong leadership skills and being prepared to work in a professional environment. He added that members are able to attend events such as the National Leadership Conference, which is held annually in different cities each year. This summer it will be held in Anaheim, Calif., and next summer it will be held in Baltimore.

Students are able to network at the event and attend business and career-based workshops taught by professionals. This is an opportunity for students to build connections with employers during the job search.

In October, nine members of Phi Beta Lambda volunteered at Sarah’s House in Anne Arundel County. Sarah’s House is a free transitional housing for individuals in time of need that serves hot meals and offers counseling, employment help and more. The students cooked and served about 30 hot meals to women and children, with food provided by their peers. Vorce said that Phi Beta Lambda members volunteer at many different places in the community and also help with university-related events such as concessions at sporting events.

Phi Beta Lambda recently participated as a club in the Homecoming week bonfire, where students made s’mores and gathered around the fire with their peers. A mechanical bull was featured in the event, and the club collected $1 per rider.

Phi Beta Lambda is also involved in the etiquette dinner.

“It is a big event that is held during spring semester to help members understand the basics of what you should and shouldn’t do at a formal dinner. Phi Beta Lambda collaborates with MILE for this event,” explained Vorce. Additionally, this event helps students by offering networking and conversation tips.

To join Phi Beta Lambda, contact Vorce through campus email.