Great gifts on a budget

Great gifts on a budget

It’s the holiday season and all the stores are filled with deals, decorations and signs reminding shoppers that there is only a limited amount of time to purchase gifts.

College students on a budget understand that holiday shopping can leave a dent in their wallet, but giving and receiving gifts helps make the season so special.

Below is a list of budget-friendly holiday gift ideas for students to buy or create for friends and family.

masonjar
Mason jar gifts can be personalized for each recipient. (Photo from ecogreenlove.com)

DIY, also known as “do it yourself,” is a recurring trend that involves creating something from scratch. This type of crafting adds sentimental value and can also save a few dollars. One specific DIY gift is a themed mason jar. The mason jar can be filled with lights, candy, gift cards, ingredients to make food, and may be painted on the outside as a decorative piece. Mason jars can be bought inexpensively at Target, Wal-Mart, Michaels, Jo-Ann Fabrics or Amazon.

Another inexpensive gift idea for friends and family is wall art. This can include a wooden sign with a quote, a painting on a canvas, or a collage of photos. Wall art can be another DIY activity, but can also be purchased at numerous places, including several small boutiques in the area. Francesca’s, a shop found in multiple locations including Hunt Valley Towne Center and the Festival at Woodholme on Reisterstown Road, has an affordable supply of wall art. Prices range from $8 to $38, depending on the size, and the decor consists of humorous expressions and inspirational quotes.

Rather than purchasing an expensive item of clothing for a family member or friend, consider getting them a few inexpensive cold-weather essentials including scarves, socks and gloves. Boot socks and scarves are trendy for the fall and winter, and gloves are necessary for the cold months ahead. Various stores in Towson Town Center and surrounding locations including Target, TJ-Maxx and DSW have great selections of these accessories.

What’s better than a scented candle or a new mug? Gifts like these can be bought in a variety of stores as well. Check out Yankee Candle, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, and Macy’s.

Finally, if all else fails or if time runs out, gift cards are always appreciated.