Mustang Mail creates inclusivity

Mustang Mail, an on-campus note-writing group, is dedicated to creating an encouraging and inclusive environment at Stevenson.

Students, stuff, and faculty members send and receive heartfelt letters that provide a pick-me-up for anyone (Photo from Mustang Mail Facebook page).

Through Mustang Mail, participants have the opportunity to send and receive handwritten, heartfelt letters that guarantee a pick-me-up for anyone. Any Stevenson student, staff, or faculty member is welcome to join as a writer and/or a receiver.

David Fleming and Marissa DiSilvestro, the student co-founders of the group, initially came up with the idea for Stevenson’s Service Scholars program as a pen-pal service between students and a local retirement home. Fleming and DiSilvestro then decided to bring the idea back to campus.

“I think [the program] is important because it really demonstrates a sense of community, allowing people to come as who they are with no judgment,” Fleming said. One of Stevenson’s core values is focused on promoting a sense of community, a mission that Mustang Mail is hoping to fulfill by instilling positivity and support in the University.

Those who sign up to be a writer for Mustang Mail will receive pre-addressed envelopes and writing prompts during supply drops. Writers can follow the prompts or take their own direction, writing as few or as many letters as they choose. On delivery days, the letters will be dropped off in the receivers’ mailboxes to put a smile on their face.

Mustang Mail has big plans for this semester coming in the next few weeks. The group will collaborate with the Male Initiative of Leadership and Excellence (M.I.L.E.) club to pass out paper hearts to others in the Rockland lobby on Feb. 13 from 5-7 p.m.

Mustang Mail also hosts writing workshops once a month, where the writers who signed up can come together and create personalized letters for the receivers. The first workshop will be on March 26 at 2 p.m., with a location to be determined.

To sign up for Mustang Mail, fill out the Google Form here. Visit the Mustang Mail Facebook Page to stay up-to-date on postings, including supply drops, delivery days, and writing workshops.