Stevenson golf tees off spring season

Stevenson mens and womens golf kicked off their spring season mid-March. (Photo by Sabina Moran)
Sabina Moran
Stevenson men’s and women’s golf kicked off their spring season mid-March. (Photo by Sabina Moran)

The Stevenson University men’s and women’s golf teams opened up their spring season with energy and set their sights on winning the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) championships.

Head coach Chris Ramer set team goals before the spring season began: “We want to be competitive at every tournament, win the conference, have five golfers for the men’s program under 80, four for the women’s under 90 and go to nationals when we win the conference.”

The women’s team traveled to Myrtle Beach, S.C., for their first tournament of the spring season, the Myrtle Beach Shootout held at the Barefoot Golf Resort. The women’s team finished fourth overall with a combined score of 399. Freshman Brynne Wiedman led the way tallying 95.

The men’s team competed in the Towson University Invitational on March 25-26. At the end of tournament, the Mustangs scored a two-day total of 660, placing them 21st overall.

Junior Austin Fuglestad and freshman Matthew Maione each shot an 82 on the final day of the Invitational. Ramer was pleased with Fuglestad’s leadership on the men’s team, saying, “Austin has done a very nice job guiding a lot of underclassmen.”

On March 25-26, the women’s team competed in the McDaniel Spring Invitational, placing two golfers in the top five overall. Junior Morgan Wirtz and senior Emily Haas finished fourth and fifth respectively.

The men’s golf team placed third out of five teams at the Dickinson Invitational on March 27 with sophomore Chris Miller carding a 78, placing him at a tie for sixth overall. On March 30, the team competed in the Gettysburg Invitational and finished sixth overall.

Looking at the team’s chemistry, Haas said, “It’s different this year because we have so many freshmen, but the van rides are fun and a good chance to bond.”

The women’s program hosted the Mustang Invitational on April 3 at the Piney Branch Golf Club. They finished first overall and took home the trophy. Haas led the way, finishing second overall.

Haas was the recipient of the Elite 90 award for the 2016 NCAA Division III Championship. Haas won the Elite 89 award last year at the Mustangs’ first-ever NCAA tournament appearance. The award recognizes student-athletes who compete in the NCAA tournament while holding the highest academic GPA.

Along with the honor, on April 1, Haas traveled to Phoenix for the Final Four NCAA men’s basketball game with other Elite 90 award winners. “It was really fun and an overall great experience,” she said.

The men’s program returns to action April 6 at the Elizabethtown Invitational. The women’s team tees off next on April 7 at the Eastern Invitational.