Jewish student group promotes inclusion

Hanukah, Passover, and Purim are just a few holidays that the Jewish Student Association (JSA) celebrates at Stevenson.

Students in the Jewish Student Association have planned a variety of events around religious holidays. (Photo courtesy of Taylor Murphy)

With each of these holidays, the JSA holds events that promote a sense of inclusion at the university. Each event that the JSA holds has a story behind it. Hanukah, as many know, is celebrated in December around the Christian holiday of Christmas. During November, the JSA hosts a Hanukah party that celebrates the holiday on a smaller scale. During this event, food, games, and music help people get into the holiday spirit. Special menus might include hummus and potato patties called Latkas.

After that, on the Jewish calendar, comes Purim, the Jewish feast similar to Halloween. The JSA hosts a Purim Party that includes a costume contest, as well as good food and festive decorations. This event also includes Halloween music and entertainment.

The JSA assembled items for the Chocolate Seder meal. (Photo courtesy of Taylor Murphy)

Passover is celebrated next, one of the holiest holidays in the Jewish religion. Passover is a time when Jews take time to pray, fast and celebrate the time in which their ancestors escaped from Egypt after being enslaved for many years. Among the celebrations at Stevenson, the JSA hosts the Passover Seder meal, with a twist on the classic Seder. The JSA sponsors its annual Chocolate Seder, which as the name implies, has chocolate-flavored food such as Matzah, and chocolate milk in place of wine.

Along with these interesting events, the JSA also collaborates with other religious clubs on campus. The group is planning a Religious Club Social in the fall which will bring the many campus religious clubs together.

For more information, to get involved or to inquire about what else JSA does, interested students can contact Taylor Murphy, the secretary/PR manager, or Mordechai Mandelbaum. JSA weekly meetings are held Wednesdays at 6 p.m. in the School of Business. Their last meeting is May 3.