Opportunity to become a Stevenson orientation leader

Applications for the orientation leader position will remain open until March 8
The 2023 orientation leaders pose for a picture.
Jenna Womack

Every year, a new class of Stevenson University Mustangs become part of the campus community.

The flyer posted for the orientation leader position (Jenna Womack)

By their side are orientation leaders who introduce new students to the campus and its culture.

The orientation leader application is currently open through March 8. Any student with at least a 2.5 GPA and in good standing with the university can apply.

The orientation leader role greatly impacts the experience of first-year students.

“My orientation leader made sure everyone in our group felt comfortable about the semester starting, and even was willing to give us a small tour of campus to help us find our classes for the first day,” said freshman Mackenzie Martin. “I would definitely say that orientation week at Stevenson University is the reason why I felt so comfortable starting my fall semester and the reason I have grown so much in college already.”

Director of The Office of Student Life and Leadership, Jenna Womack, leads the team of orientation leaders.

Orientation leaders go through one week of training and then serve in their roles the week prior to the start of the fall semester.

Orientation leaders smile for the camera on the last day of orientation. (Jenna Womack)

“Within those short two weeks, orientation leaders gain new friendships, learn how to get more involved on campus, develop leadership skills, help new students, and have a lot of fun,” Womack said. “Students who live on campus have the opportunity to move in early, orientation leaders who are service scholars can use the orientation leader position as a service opportunity, and of course there is lots of free gear and food.”

Womack shared that orientation leaders are known for loving Stevenson University, can be warm and welcoming, and always are willing to learn or develop new leadership skills. The position also entails working in a team environment, remaining flexible and the ability to communicate effectively.

Senior Connor Wackowski explained that he became an orientation leader to connect with others and help new students enter college with a positive outlook and as little worry as possible.

Wackowski said, “My favorite memory was receiving the input from the new students and seeing how much I had made an impact on them.”