Films to watch during summer 2024

Several potential blockbuster films will be available in theaters during the upcoming summer break
Films to watch during summer 2024

Summer is right around the corner and there’s nothing better than a good trip to the movies, whether you see it in the early afternoon in prime summer weather or later in the evening when the weather is good enough for a warm ending to the night.

The year 2024 has been a great year so far in regard to movies with releases such as “Dune: Part 2,” “Civil War” and “Bob Marley: One Love,” the year has blessed audiences’ with films to remember years down the line.

There is still plenty of time left in 2024 with films such as “Joker: Folie a Deux,” “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” and the remake of “The Karate Kid,” just to name a few, that have potential to be blockbuster hits, but with summer warming up within the few weeks, there are a good amount of films that you can watch during your vacation.

Still from “The Garfield Movie” (2024)

“The Garfield Movie” – May 24 

The iconic, lasagna-loving, comical cat is appearing on the big screen once again in 3D animated form. The film follows Garfield (voiced by Chris Pratt) reuniting with his long-lost father unexpectedly (voiced by Samuel L. Jackson), as his father drags him into the streets to do a heist of high-risks. The film is made by Sony Pictures Animation and is set to release in theaters on May 24. If you are a fan of the comic or the 2000s live action films, this film could be fun for you to watch. It appears this will be another release that is fun for the whole family to enjoy.

Still from the trailer of “Bad Boys: Ride or Die” (2024)

“Bad Boys: Ride or Die” – June 7 

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are back as Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett as they are now on the run after being set up. It has been four years since the last film “Bad Boys For Life” was released, and now the detectives are being brought back to become another hit of the summer. By the looks of the film, it appears to have the same feel as the last film, as well as an interesting story with a twist, this has potential to be the movie of the summer. Another classic movie franchise gets to continue to shine in modern theaters as fans are into another buddy cop film with more action to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Still from “Inside Out 2” (2024)

“Inside Out 2” – June 14 

It has been almost nine years since the release of 2015’s “Inside Out” and finally, the emotions are ready to flow back onto the big screen this summer. The film follows emotions such as Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust, as Riley begins to grow up and starts to develop a new and common emotion that is frequent during the process of becoming a teenager; anxiety. When Anxiety shows up, they are unsure how to feel about it. The cast of the first film all return as Maya Hawke joins the crew as she voices “Anxiety.” The film is set to introduce puberty as Disney is ready to confront the life as a teen and the emotions that come with it. Fans of the first film are in for a good time once again as their favorite feelings will soon be back in theaters on June 14.

Poster for “A Quiet Place: Day One” (2024)

“A Quiet Place: Day One” – June 28 

After the success of 2018’s “A Quiet Place” and 2021’s “A Quiet Place: Part II,” the creatures that hunt by sound return in spin-off prequel fashion, as audiences will soon learn how the world went quiet. The film stars Luptia Nyong’o from “Black Panther” and “Us” and Joseph Quinn from “Stranger Things,” as well as Alex Wolff from “Hereditary.” As “A Quiet Place” is an amazing horror series in recent years that has caught the attention of movie fans alike, it appears that fans are in store for another intense, quiet (but sometimes loud), and overall terrifying installment in the franchise. With the success of the previous films, there is a good chance that this film will be up there with the others and will for sure bring in money in attempt to be three-for-three when it comes to blockbuster hits.

Teaser poster for “Beverley Hills Cop: Axel F” (2024)

“Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F” – July 3 on Netflix

The fourth installment of Eddie Murphy’s Beverly Hills Cop is finally returning, but exclusively on Netflix as Detective Axel Foley is teaming up with a new partner and some familiar faces to dive into a conspiracy after his daughter is threatened. This is another classic franchise that returns as it has been 30 years since the last installment in the series, as younger fans of the series get to see their favorite childhood characters return in their adulthood. Since the movie is going to be exclusively on Netflix, fans of the series are unsure if the film will actually be good or if it will be another mediocre cash grab reboot but fans regardless are going to get the opportunity to see Axel Foley’s continue this summer.

Still from “Despicable Me 4” (2024)

“Despicable Me 4” – July 3 

Another series that continues to bring money into the box office is back once again. The story of Gru (voiced by Steve Carrell) and the minions continue as the fourth installment follows Gru welcoming a new member of the family, his newborn baby boy Gru Jr, as Maxime Le Mal (voice by Will Ferrel), a criminal mastermind escapes prison to seek revenge against Gru. The previous film in the series released back in the summer of 2017, which received mixed reviews among critics and fans. Expect another good time with the characters that have been around for over a decade, but nothing more than another cash grab that is nothing different than the other three films. If you’re a fan of series, this might be a fun watch, but overall, don’t expect a masterpiece.

Still from “Twisters” (2024)

“Twisters” – July 19 

The long awaited indirect sequel to 1996’s Twister is coming this summer. The film stars Glen Powell (Anyone But You, Top Gun: Maverick) and Daisy Edgar-Jones (Fresh, Where the Crawdads Sing) as a woman who is haunted to by a encounter with a tornado, Kate Cooper gets lured back into the storm to test a new weather tracking system, in which she encounters Tyler Owens (Powell), a social media influencer in the storm chasing world, as both teams fight for survival as multiple tornados form over central Oklahoma. If you’re a fan of the original Twister or natural disaster movies as a whole, this is a movie that could potentially keep you on the edge of your seat.

Behind the scenes photo from “Deadpool & Wolverine” (2024)

“Deadpool & Wolverine” – July 26 

The third installment in the infamous Deadpool franchise. Ryan Reynolds returns as Wade Wilson/Deadpool, as he is now a part of Marvel’s Cinematic Universe, alongside Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine also making a comeback. The only synopsis that we have is from IMDb, which states “Wolverine is recovering from his injuries when he crosses paths with the loudmouth, Deadpool. They team up to defeat a common enemy.” This is the first R-rated Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film to be made which can mean that more superhero films can be more targeted towards adults in the future.

Still from “Borderlands” (2024)

“Borderlands” – August 9 

The 2009 video game “Borderlands” finally gets its live action film adaptation. The film stars Cate Blanchett, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Bobby Lee as an outlaw forms an alliance with a team of those who may not be heroes. The alliance fight alien monsters and bandits while on the hunt for a missing girl who holds the key to power that is labeled as “unimaginable.” Jack Black voices the iconic “Claptrap,” a fan favorite character from the video game series. If you are fan of the video game series, this should be a fun ride that will be filled with action, comedy, and overall a lot of fun to start the end of the summer season.

Poster for “Alien: Romulus” (2024)

“Alien: Romulus” – August 16 

The next installment in the Alien franchise hits the big screen later towards the end of summer. The synopsis of the film is “Young people on a distant world find themselves confronting the most terrifying life-form in the universe.” The film stars Cailee Spaeny and Isabela Merced. Not much is known about the next installment as there is only a brief synopsis that reads “Young people on a distant world find themselves confronting the most terrifying life-form in the universe.” This is another horror franchise that gets continues to make successful films for their fans and horror movie lovers alike so if you’re craving for more alien horror, this is the film for you. For horror movie fans, this could be a good way to end off the summer vacation.