Dylan Jones wins SU poetry competition

Creative writers come together, share their work, and compete at the annual VERSES Poetry competition
Contestants anticipate the announcement of the 2024 winners.
Ben Johnson

On Thursday April 18, the Greenspring Review hosted the annual Verses poetry competition. Dylan Jones took the first-place $100 prize at the Verses poetry competition hosted by the Greenspring Review.

Senior Sam Stephenson greeted attendees and gave a word about the Greenspring Review.

Stephenson said, “It is Stevenson’s online literary magazine which is coming to print for the first time this year.”

The competition was a showcase of the hard work and passion of students who enjoy writing and the art of poetry.

To kick off the event lecturer of English Dr. Laura Smith gave a guest presentation of her piece titled, “Wrecking the Playhouse.” Closing the piece, Dr. Smith welcomed an applause from the audience.

The competition then brought a range of performative prose.

Judges consisted of ArtsAlive! representative Clinton McCallum, adviser to The Villager Jeffrey Browne, English Department Chair Aaron Chandler, and Director of the Center of Diversity and Inclusion Kenetia Pinkett.

The top three contestants as decided by the judges and audience reactions were Jones in first, Ryan Elspas in second, and Andres Johnson in third.

Jones described his inspiration for his work “When you give a child a word.”

“I have a newborn nephew,” Jones said. “Watching him grow from a tiny toddler to someone who actually speaks words, he speaks full-on, we can actually have a full-on conversation.”