Love Is in the Air

Students celebrate Valentine’s Day at Stevenson in a variety of ways
Photo by Matt Nelson on Unsplash
Photo by Matt Nelson on Unsplash

Love is in the air at Stevenson University, and Alexandra Hosfield is just one of many celebrating the holiday.  

Hosfield wanted to spend Valentine’s Day focusing on her platonic relationships. Hosfield showed her affection towards loved ones by surprising her younger brother at his school Valentine’s Day party, assisting alongside her sisters with the setup and demonstration of various arts and crafts.

Alexandra Hosfield and her siblings (Alexandra Hosfield)

Hosfield then finished up celebrating the day of love by going out to dinner with one of her close friends.  

“I love getting any chance to spend time with my friends and family and taking the time to appreciate them, especially if there’s a cute theme,” Hosfield said. “I just love love.”  

Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to demonstrate your feelings towards your significant other.  

“I love any chance I get to spoil my girlfriend; what better way to celebrate than beating her at arcade games followed up by making her penne alla vodka and exchanging gifts,” Nicholas Kam said.  

The day of love kicked off with the House of Hearts event put on by ResLife and the Center for Diversity and Inclusion. The event took place in the Rockland banquet hall from 7-8:30 p.m. on Feb. 13. Students gathered for an array of games, pizza, and prizes.  

Though Valentine’s Day is a favorite holiday for many, classes continued as scheduled, but that didn’t stop students from enjoying the day.  

“After classes, I decided to focus on some self-care and went to the gym,” said sophomore Brooke Meyer. “Self-love is just as important as that of romance. After the gym, I got sushi and finished up the day studying for an exam.”  

While classes and exams don’t stop for love, Stevenson made sure to have a wide array of festivities for holiday.  

(Unsplash – Jesse Goll)

The Center for Student Life and Leadership continued to spread the love, hosting an event from noon-2 p.m.. The Fall in Love with Leadership event held an introductory meeting where you could learn about the orientation leader position at Stevenson and grab a goody bag while supplies lasted.   

In addition to the free goodies, there was a Valentine’s Day giveaway to win a pair of tickets to the Winter Formal taking place next Saturday, Feb. 24. This was the last opportunity to get tickets as they had previously sold out.  

Stevenson’s Campus Crusade for Christ wrapped up the day of love for Stevenson’s activities by celebrating at their weekly meeting by creating gift cards and gift bags in addition to reading and discussing love-related scripture.   

“Galentine’s Day” (Shannon O’Hara)

Some students, however, spent the day and night as regular college students. While the day might not have been special to everyone, it was to those interested in joining Stevenson Greek Life as it was also the last day to sign up for recruitment.  

Some Phi Sigma Sigma sisters celebrated each other with a festive “Galentine’s Day” get-together.