All Spider-Man films returning to theaters starting this April

The beloved 8-part segmented franchise is back on the big screen this spring following “Madame Web” flop
via @tomholland on Instagram
via @tomholland on Instagram

Sony Pictures will be showing all eight live action Spider-Man movies in theaters, starting with “Spider-Man” (2002) and ending with “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (2021) as a part of their “Spider-Mondays” campaign in honor of Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary.

By now, the world should know who Peter Parker’s alter ego Spider-Man is. As one of Marvel’s most beloved and iconic superheroes, the nerdy web slinger has appeared on the big screen in live-action form in three separate runs played by Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, and most recently Tom Holland. Fans constantly debate who is the better Spider-Man, or even the better Peter Parker. Regardless, all three are widely loved by older and younger fans alike.

The three Spider-Men together in “Spider-Man: No Way Home” (Sony Pictures, 2021)

Back in 2021, “Spider-Man: No Way Home” was released in theaters where every Spider-Man fans’ dream came true; all three Spider-Men appearing in one same film for the first time in Hollywood history. This allowed fans who missed seeing earlier films in theaters to get a chance to see Maguire and Garfield suited up on the big screen once again, further deepening nationwide love for the friendly neighborhood hero.

Each film in the franchise will get a week-long run in theaters from Monday to Sunday. It remains a mystery how interested modern audiences will be to see the films rerun in theaters.

Bringing films back into theaters isn’t a breath of fresh air, as movie classics have gotten their chance to appear back into modern theaters. Films such as “Blazing Saddles,” “Grease,” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” just to name a few, have been brought back to the big screen to allow the current generation to see past films in present times.

This tends to help theaters as it brings more revenue and brings nostalgic joy to those who get to relive their favorite films again, but with the recent flop of Sony’s “Madame Web,” this campaign could also be a way to help Sony make up lost revenue.

The film is a spinoff in the Sony Spider-Man universe as it deals with Cassandra Webb (played by Dakota Johnson) and the “Spider-Women” (played by Sydney Sweeney, Isabela Merced, and Celeste O’ Connor).

Madame Web” is Sony Pictures’ most recent blockbuster flop, receiving a 3.8 out of 10 on IMDb, 26 on Metascore, and a disastrous 12% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The film was bashed by critics and was deemed as the worst film of 2024 so far, making only 15 million dollars during opening weekend, far below expectations with their 80 million dollar production budget.

Users on IMDb said that it is not only the worst superhero movie ever made, but the one of the worst movies of all time. Some reviews even describe the film as “so bad that it’s funny.” Moviegoers worldwide began to attend “Madame Web” just to laugh at how disappointing the film was.

Believe it or not, it may helped the film eventually reach a net positive $97 million worldwide. In somewhat cult fashion, the movie was so bad that it was good, but the film still only made $47 million in the U.S., one of the world’s premier movie markets.

This could be a potential factor as to why Sony is bringing the Spider-Man franchise back to theaters as an attempt to reconcile with the passionate fanbase.

The eight films in the franchise are set to be released back in theaters starting April 15, 2024, starting with Sam Rami’s “Spider-Man.”

Spider-Man Theater Dates
  • April 15: "Spider-Man"
  • April 22: "Spider-Man 2"
  • April 29: "Spider-Man 3"
  • May 6: "The Amazing Spider-Man"
  • May 13: "The Amazing Spider-Man 2"
  • May 20: "Spider-Man: Homecoming"
  • May 27: "Spider-Man: Far From Home"
  • June 3: "Spider-Man: No Way Home"