SUMB hosts 3rd annual Band Day

Karleigh Baldwin, drum major of the SU Marching Band, conducts the over 400 performers at last years event. (Photo from Stevenson University Flickr)
Karleigh Baldwin, drum major of the SU Marching Band, conducts the over 400 performers at last year’s event. (Photo from Stevenson University Flickr)

The Stevenson University Marching Band and students from several local high school bands are joining together to perform at the third annual SU Band Day Experience during a home football game on Sept. 29, 2018.

Members of the Stevenson University color guard practice with high school students at last year’s SU Band Day Experience. (Photo from Stevenson University Flickr)

The SU Band Day Experience is an event that connects over 400 students from eight Maryland high school bands with students in Stevenson’s marching band, introducing them to the collegiate game day experience.

The bands participating this year are from C. Milton Wright, Joppatowne, Hancock, Loch Raven, Old Mill, Meade, Rockville and Mount Hebron high schools.

Terrell Smith, assistant director of bands, said, “Stevenson students have an opportunity to share their excitement of being members of the Stevenson community with our guests, and we are hoping that excitement is infectious and makes them want to join our community.”

The Stevenson University Marching Band and the participating high school visitors will begin their day at 8 a.m. in Mustang Stadium. All of the performers will then practice their procession on to the field and rehearse as a group. They will end their day together by performing alongside the Stevenson Emeralds dance line and color guard during the halftime show.

The high school bands have been practicing the three songs selected for this year’s band day, so that they are prepared to perform with the Marching 100 for five to seven minutes during halftime of the football game against Delaware Valley.

Mark Lortz, director of bands, and Terrell Smith have been visiting the participating high schools to become familiar with the students and practice the music with them in preparation for the gameday performance.

Emma Cathy Smith, a junior business communication major, music minor and member of the marching band, said, “This year, I’m most excited to see and hear how large we’ve grown. I’ve been at SU since we hosted our first Stevenson Band Day Experience, and it’s gotten huge. We’re expecting so many schools this year, so we’ll definitely be producing a ton of sound.”

Elizabeth Madairy, a current Stevenson University freshman, attended the event last year as the drum major of the Loch Raven High School Marching Band. (Photo from Stevenson University Flickr)

The SU Band Day Experience is also a major recruiting event for the university. The admissions office is involved to ensure that the high school students receive relevant information and feel welcomed in the Stevenson community.

In addition to the admissions office, the president’s office, the School of Design, the athletic department, the auxiliary services department and security are involved in the planning and production of the event.

Due to event’s success in previous years, several marching band students have credited this event as a leading reason they attended Stevenson.

Elizabeth Madairy, a freshman nursing major and member of the marching band, said, “By attending the Stevenson Band Day Experience last year, I was able to more confidently commit to Stevenson and realize that I wanted to continue with marching band in college.”

The football game will begin at 1 p.m. in the Mustang Stadium. Tickets for the game are available at the Rock and the Greenzone.