Interim dean oversees business degrees

Interim dean oversees business degrees

Aris Melissaratos has been the interim dean of the Brown School of Business and Leadership (BSOBL) at Stevenson University since 2014.

Aris Melissaratos is the dean of the Brown School of Business and Leadership. He oversees all business degrees at Stevenson University. (Photo from stevenson.edu)

With years of experience in various fields, Melissaratos is putting his expertise to work at Stevenson. Melissaratos explained that he always wanted to work in academics and is glad to be able to serve at the small private Baltimore-area institution. He is constantly using his knowledge and experience in the business world to ensure that business students at Stevenson are getting the education they need to be successful.

Melissaratos’ job description as the dean of BSOBL includes running BSOBL and its academic affairs. Melissaratos’ objective is to stabilize the enrollment and continue to fine-tune BSOBL’s business programs and prepare students for careers.

This year, BSOBL is introducing a new program in cyber security and digital forensics. The school is also focusing on business analytics degrees because of the high demand in the market, Melissaratos said. He is also working on emphasizing the marketing program. BSOBL is planning to introduce a financial economics program in the future as well.

Melissaratos is a member of the Maryland Business Hall of Fame. He attended several institutions, including Johns Hopkins University, George Washington University, Harvard University and Catholic University of America. Between 2008 and 2015, Melissaratos earned several awards including Baltimore’s Extraordinary Technology Advocate, Entrepreneur of the Year, William Donald Schaefer Industrialist of the Year, Person of the Year for Baltimore-Washington Corridor Inc. and Philanthropist of the Year.

Melissaratos was the secretary of Business and Economic Development of Maryland from 2003-2007. This position introduced him to many Maryland politicians, entrepreneurs, business people and academics, Melissaratos said. Prior to becoming the dean of BSOBL, Melissaratos served as the senior advisor to the president of Johns Hopkins University. During his time at Johns Hopkins University, he was responsible for technology transfer and corporate partnerships. Melissaratos also increased Hopkins’ revenue from royalties and licenses from $7 million to $18 million.