GIVING BACK

How Stevenson University is spreading good cheer to the community during the holiday season

Photo by Karli Banas

The holidays are a time of giving and students looking to give back this holiday season have several opportunities to do so, right here on campus. 

The Track and Field team is having a shoe drive from now until Dec. 10. They are collecting new and gently used sneakers. Donations are going to GotSneakers, an organization that recycles new and used sneakers for different uses. 

Donations can be dropped off in the Track and Field Office located in Caves room 247. Questions can be emailed to Coach Kylie Ryan [email protected] or senior TF athlete Kiana Mack [email protected]

Mack feels giving back to the community is important.  

“We wanted our team to be a part of something bigger than ourselves,” she said. “Giving back helps us recognize the challenges that some communities and individuals face and be part of the resolution.” 

So far 71 pairs of sneakers have been donated. 

SGA is sponsoring a Toys for Tots drive. Donations should be new toys targeted towards children ages twelve and under. Toys containing food or resembling weapons will not be accepted. The drive runs until Dec. 13 and students can reach out to SGA through email at [email protected] or dm @stevensonsga on Instagram with questions. 

Other ways Stevenson students have given back recently include: 

On Dec. 7, SGA held a card making event, where students could make a card to donate to nurses at local hospitals. The holiday season can be incredibly stressful for healthcare workers as it overlaps with flu season, so students were encouraged to leave uplifting and appreciative messages in the cards. 

On Saturday Dec. 3, the Stevenson Men’s Ice Hockey team held their annual Teddy Bear Night. Spectators were encouraged to bring a new teddy bear to donate to the Baltimore Ronald McDonald House.  

On Nov. 29, the Service Scholars held a Bingo event where attendees were asked to bring a canned good donation for a local food pantry.