Sorority recruitment – The countdown begins

Registration for the Spring 2024 Panhellenic Recruitment will remain open until Feb. 14
Julia Barreda and Kera Skove form the Phi Sigma Sigma hand-sign at a recruitment retreat.
Shannon O’Hara

By the end of the day, Sunday, Feb. 18, you might catch a glimpse of women running home to their new sisterhoods.

Sisters Alexis Rimando, Madison Brown, and Grace Beach pose during Phi Mu’s philanthropy round. (Kait Bushnell)

Panhellenic Recruitment, for the fourth year, will be taking over Stevenson University’s campus in two weeks.

Phi Mu and Phi Sigma Sigma have been preparing for weeks to welcome potential new members. Phi Sigma Sigma Membership Chair Stephanie Henry said her sorority will spend about 20 hours over three weekends prepping for formal recruitment.

“Phi Mu is putting in several hours a week to prepare for formal recruitment,” Phi Mu Membership Director Brooke Berrol said. “Whether that is in meetings, planning recruitment, or making workshops and bonding activities.”

Panhellenic Recruitment, otherwise known as sorority recruitment, is a process where Panhellenic sororities can inform and recruit potential new members using fair processes over the course of coordinated rounds or parties.

Greek life began on the Villa Julie campus when the Phi Sigma Sigma chapter was established in 1992. Then, 28 years later, a chapter of Phi Mu was introduced to the Stevenson University community.

Hayley Guerette and Kaylin Miller celebrate at Phi Sigma Sigma’s fall 2023 bid day. (Shannon O’Hara)

This spurred the creation of Stevenson University’s Panhellenic Association due to both sororities belonging to the National Panhellenic Conference. The NPC includes 26 women-only international and national member organizations.

Both Phi Mu and Phi Sigma Sigma are required to host formal recruitment together yearly in the spring, and this year it falls from Feb. 15 -18. Women interested can register online.

Why do women on Stevenson University’s campus feel drawn to join sororities?

Current freshman and potential new member, Emily Rose, said “I really am interested in the sisterhood aspect of sororities and meeting girls who have the same values of me and forming long lasting friendships! I am also interested in the philanthropy, like helping in the hospitals and schools, because I love to volunteer and help others.”

Natalie Davenport, Izzy Errico, and Gabrielle Green at Phi Mu’s bid day celebration. (Kait Bushnell)

In addition, many current sisters of both organizations went through the Panhellenic Recruitment process themselves.

“There are three rounds to the formal recruitment process,” junior Phi Mu sister Izzy Errico said. “Each day a potential new member will learn more about the sororities on campus and will be able to ask questions and discuss values and philanthropy one on one with sisters of each organization.”

Lauren Sober, a sophomore sister in Phi Sigma Sigma, gives potential new members some advice.

“Use this time to meet new people, learn new things, and overall, just enjoy the whole recruitment process!”