Dancing the night away

The second annual Stevenson University Winter Formal and what attendees thought about the night
Students headed towards the dance floor.
Shannon O’Hara

Stevenson University students came together Saturday night to dance the night away at the annual winter formal held at Martin’s West in Baltimore.

Hors d’Oeuvres were served throughout the event along with a variety of beverages and cocktails. (Shannon O’Hara)

The theme for the night was “masquerade,” and many dressed to theme. With approximately 250 registered attendees, you could find Mustangs taking photos in their attire, dancing to music from the DJ, and socializing among fellow students.

The winter formal consisted of many different components. Junior Ashlee Payton pointed out the photo booth, as well as an array of hors d’Oeuvres including meatballs, fried shrimp, and mozzarella bites.

Along with the food she picked up, Payton said, “I hit up the cash bar and got a soda and mixed drink.”

Guests could be seen along a mirrored hallways and along the grand staircases in the venue. Freshman Belle Merritt shared that her favorite photo spot at Martin’s West had to be the extravagant chandeliers.

Junior Kaleigh Koneval and guest Ethan Buswell take in the venue’s ambiance. (Shannon O’Hara)

The event would have not been possible without the collaboration of Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL), the Student Government Association (SGA), the Commuter Students Association (CSA), and Mustang Activities and Planning (MAP).

FSL President Jaylin Moise shared how Greek life helped with funding for the photo booth and food, and even provided the masks many attendees picked up at the door.

SGA President Lauren Martin said, “Hosting a Stevenson-wide event like this one makes everlasting memories for so many students and really brings our community together.”

Not only does attending the winter formal ensure a memorable night, but funds raised through ticket sales directly go directly towards holding more events on campus.

Student Government Association President Lauren Martin and Admissions Counselor Ruben Amaya smile and pose for a photo. (Shannon O’Hara)

Director of The Office of Student Life and Leadership Jenna Womack led the group of student leaders on the planning committee.

“I made the event come to life in terms of logistics, whether it was working with Martin’s West or outside vendors such as the DJ or photo booth,” Womack said.

After attending the 2023 winter formal, many attendees decided to return for the 2024 event. Senior Kera Skove said she returned because of her prior experience.

“The music and the food, it was a lot of fun,” Skove said. “I really enjoyed it, I had a great time, and I wanted to do it again for my senior year.”

Senior Kim Bialek said, “I just like the excuse to do my makeup and dress up.”

Joi Langston, Ashlee Payton, Joy Lee, and Lex Rogers take a break from the dance floor. (Shannon O’Hara)