Spring break Maryland-style: A day trip guide to SU’s nearby treasures

The King and Queen Seat in Rocks State Park located in Harford County, MD
Olivia Simon

As spring break quickly approaches, Stevenson students are more than ready for a reset.

Staying in Maryland over break and not sure what to do with your free time? We’ve got you covered with a list of fun activities to keep you busy and entertained over break. 

Although sometimes it can feel like there is nothing to do around campus besides staying inside and scrolling through social media or binge-watching Netflix, there are hidden treasures. 

With Stevenson University being close to charming cities like Annapolis, Frederick, and Baltimore, get creative and create your own staycation by adventuring out to try something new, find a new hiking trail, or discover a new spot. 

Below, we offer different ideas on how to spend a day in the scenic state. 

Go Hiking

Stevenson students Olivia Simon and Tim Flanagan enjoying views at Rocks State Park

It’s always beneficial to stay active and get moving. Hiking is a great way to improve both your physical and mental health while enjoying nature. Whether you are taking a walk on Stevenson’s nature trails or making the commute to another one, grab a friend and get some fresh air. 

Patapsco Valley State Park offers scenic views extending along 32 miles of the Patapsco River, covering over 16,000 acres of land. With over 200 miles of trails and plenty of land, there is room for many activities, including biking, hiking, fishing, canoeing, picnicking, and more. 

To view all of their trail maps, visit their site here or alltrails.com.

Another option is Rocks State Park located in Harford County, Maryland.

Kilgore Falls in Rocks State Park (Stephen Badger)

Just a 50-minute drive from campus, the park is full of opportunities for hiking with over 850 acres of rocky forests, a beautiful overlook called the King and Queen Seat, and Kilgore Falls, a waterfall that’s great for a picnic or swim.

Find full Rocks State Park trail maps here.

Calling All Animal Lovers

A Maryland TikToker, @morgsvstheworld, highlighted a unique variety of animal-related activities available throughout the DMV in a recent TikTok. Below are a few of those places.

• Alpaca Farm: Get the chance to hang with some alpacas at Breezy Hill Farm in Woodbine, Maryland, or Alpaca Lane Criations in Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Receive an interactive alpaca tour for only $10! 
  • Animal Cuddling: Mary’s Land Farm in Ellicott City, Maryland, serves the community through offering cuddles from animals. The farm offers customers a unique and creative animal experience to reduce stress. Guests are welcome to cuddle bunnies, calves, cows, and lambs. Currently, due to the season, only cows and lambs are available to cuddle as of right now.
  • Cat Cafe: Grab a cup of coffee and indulge in some cat therapy at either Crumb & Whiskers in Washington D.C. or Mount Purrnon Cat Cafe, located in Alexandria, Virginia. Although reservations are not required, they are highly recommended.

In Baltimore, Maryland

• National Aquarium: Dive deeper into nature by exploring the underwater world through a memorable experience. Tickets will be 50% off ($24.95 per person) on all Friday nights from March 8 through April 5.
  • Graffiti Alley: Tucked away in one of Baltimore’s alleys is a unique photo-op experience. Graffiti Alley provides vibrant street art located at N Howard St., Baltimore, MD 21218.
  • Inner Harbor: Stroll around the charming city of Baltimore while enjoying the pleasant scenery, fun shops, and tasteful food. 

Whether you plan on adventuring around your own city or exploring the sights of a neighboring one, try to get out and see something new and enjoy Maryland this break.