Stevenson’s new library is open, students love new space

Located at Owings Mills North campus, the Phillip A. Zaffere Library is fully open for student use
Philip A. Zaffere Front Entrance
Philip A. Zaffere Front Entrance
Ava Treakle

The arrival of spring means new opportunities at Stevenson University, including the opening of the Philip A. Zaffere Library on Owings Mills North campus.

The highly anticipated library opened March 18, 2024, welcoming students back from spring break.

“This is a proper library, and I love that there is an actual spot to check out books and study,” sophomore Erin Wright said. “I also like that there are a lot of different spaces. Sometimes, you need a spot other than your dorm to do your homework.”

The library overflows with physical collections, from books and journals to newsletters and films, as well as electronic collections, including articles, eBooks, and videos.

Zaffere Library Hours

Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m - 10 p.m.

Friday: 8 a.m - 6 p.m.

Saturday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Sunday: 12 p.m. - 10 p.m.

In order to check out a resource, all you need is your SU student ID.

If you need help with anything, the library staff is available to help students with research, answer any questions, and whatever else is needed at their new facility.

Left to right: Christina Hipsley, Collection Development and Electronic Resources Librarian; Joel Pace, Research and Instruction Librarian; and Elizabeth Fields, Research and Instruction Librarian. Image from Stevenson University

“It’s very, very nice. I like all their spaces; they’re very modern and cool,” sophomore Stephanie Izaguirre said. “The study rooms are a nice touch. It’s an alternative place to go besides North. They have so many books. I’m definitely going to be spending a lot of time here.”

The library has an abundance of resources, as well as study areas and rooms for both individual and group work. The study rooms can be reserved online.

In addition, there are computer work stations in the Chip Rouse Computer and Media Room.

“It is really bright with all of the natural light, it really makes you wanna be in here for a while,” said freshman Shane Lynch. “It’s open, and I like the seating.”

Most of the building relies on natural light from the enormous windows surrounding the study areas. The “Quiet Study” area located at the back of the library is predicted to have high traffic. The silent room is made up of floor-to-ceiling windows that allow visitors to look at the natural landscape, creating the perfect study environment.

For increased accessibility, the shuttle to North Campus will stop at the Zaffere Library every 20 minutes for pickup and drop-off.

Stevenson University: This map shows how students, faculty, and staff can access the Zaffere Library on foot during the construction phases of our new East Campus Greenspace and Berman Family Performing Arts Center. The SU Shuttles will also make regular stops there every 20 minutes.