Students prepare for zombie apocalypse

Stevenson’s Humans vs. Zombies (HvZ) game will begin on April 13 at 7 a.m. and will end April 20 at 11 p.m. This is Stevenson’s fourth year hosting the game on campus, and the university is following in the footsteps of the first college to host Humans vs. Zombies, Goucher College.

HvZ ORGANIZERS DEVELOPED IMPROVED RULES TO INCREASE CAMPUS SAFETY

Humans vs Zombies 2
A group of zombies prepare to tag humans on campus. (Photo by SUTV)

Kris DeJesus, Stevenson junior and HvZ veteran, explained the basic rules of the game. It starts off with one zombie. Only the moderators, otherwise known as referees, know who this original zombie is on day one. The first zombie tags as many players as possible who all become zombies in the process. While zombies are trying to tag humans, humans are trying to avoid zombies. Humans use weapons such as nerf blasters and sock grenades to protect themselves from zombies.

More rules are added every year to help improve the game. This year, safe-zones only protect humans. In previous years, safe-zones were able to be used by all players. Additionally, zombies cannot wait for a person outside of a building for excessive periods of time, nor can humans stay inside a building for excessive periods of time. Players are allowed to use automatic blasters, but all blasters have to be approved by moderators. DeJesus said, “There are no serious precautions. Just remember to wear clothes that you can be mobile in and that you don’t mind getting messy in.”

MEETINGS WILL INFORM VETERANS AND NEWCOMERS ABOUT POLICIES

Humans vs Zombies Logo
(Graphic from Destination Missoula)

To get started, students can visit the HvZ registration website and obtain an ID. When a human is tagged by a zombie, the zombie receives the ID and inserts the code on the website. The website is able to track how many zombies and humans remain and the current status of players.

To find out more, information sessions will be held on April 6 and April 7 from 7-8 p.m. in School of Business and Leadership in room 406. After students attend an information session, they will be able to register for the game online. DeJesus encouraged fellow students: “Come to the interest meeting, and prepare for an awesome week of college!”

To find out more about the international game of Humans vs. Zombies, please visit the official website. A complete schedule of events and a detailed list of this year’s rules and regulations can be found on the SU Portal.