Women’s lacrosse thriving late

Stevenson women’s lacrosse closed out the home season with a 20-5 win over Alvernia on Thursday night at Mustang Stadium.

The Stevenson University women’s lacrosse team has found their stride heading into their final regular season game. Currently on a six-game win streak, their longest of the season, the team recently clinched the No. 2 seed for the Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) Commonwealth playoffs following a 17-10 victory over Lycoming College on April 25.

Junior Jamie Bittner clears the ball for the Mustangs in the 20-5 victory over Alvernia on April 13.  (Photo by Sabina Moran)

Led once again by a strong senior class, the Mustangs jumped out to a seven-goal lead and never looked back. At one point, the Mustangs led the game by nine goals.  Senior Olivia Monteiro netted a career-best six goals in the contest, as well as two assists for a game-high eight points.

After a tough string of close games in the middle of the season, the Mustangs are now firing on all cylinders.  Head coach Kathy Railey said, “We were able to use the Lebanon Valley loss as a springboard to focus in on what we need to do, and that has helped us take it to other teams.”

With the win Tuesday night against conference foe Lycoming, the team is guaranteed a home game in the upcoming conference semi-finals.  The win put the team at 9-6 overall with a 6-2 conference record going into the last game of the regular season.

During this six-game win streak, the team has recorded 20 or more goals on four different occasions. The offensive success can be credited due to the production from the senior class and the freshman.  The four seniors control the offensive side of the field for the Mustangs, recording a combined 100 points on 75 goals and 25 assists over the last six games.  Olivia Monteiro, Brady Heher, Mackenzie Reese and Tori Bruno have sparked the Mustangs to recent success.

Heher said, “We know what we have to do to win and put ourselves in a good position.  Keeping our composure and our focus is important.”

While the senior class is leading the Mustangs from the top, the freshmen have been productive as well. Rookies Carly Bowes, Kiely Bunce and Mallory Davila have played in all 15 contests for the Mustangs this season. The three have combined for 68 points on 50 goals and 18 assists.  Each of the three is currently on a four-game point streak as well.

“Our success has to do with how close we are together as a team. We push each other every day in practice and that leads to our success on the field,” said Bunce.

The Mustangs’ success has not only come from the offensive side of the ball, but from the defense as well. The team has allowed only 45 goals over their last six games, and has scored 120 goals. This has produced a +75 goal differential, a major reason for the recent success. The starting goalie for the Mustangs, Mack Ferguson, has recorded at least 10 saves in four games this season, and has started in every contest.

The Mustangs close out their regular season campaign on April 29, when they travel to Bethel Park High School in Pennsylvania for an out-of-conference tilt with Denison University.