Who’s Who inducts new SU students

Stevenson University inducted 115 students into Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges on April 21, 2017. The ceremony was held at 2:30 p.m. in the Inscape Theatre on the Greenspring campus. The list of inductees is included at the end of this article.

Karen Gibbs, founder of The Gibbs Perspective, gave the keynote address at the recent Who’s Who induction ceremony. (Photo from thegibbsperspective.com)

The ceremony opened with a welcome by Jeff Kelly, interim vice president of student affairs, while opening remarks were given by Claire Moore, interim president. The keynote address by Karen Gibbs, president and founder of The Gibbs Perspective, followed.

Who’s Who Among Students has been honoring outstanding students since 1934. It is one of the highest regarded long-standing honors programs in the nation. Members inducted are outstanding campus leaders and well-rounded students.

The program’s founder, Henry Pettus Randall, Jr., being an outstanding student in his university days, received several offers to join honor societies but could not afford the costly membership fees. Inspired by his own struggle, Randall created the Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges honors program, which is focused more on achievement rather than finances, according to https://whoswhoamongstudents.com.

The Criteria

During the school year, nomination forms go out to all full- and part-time faculty and staff who are then able to nominate students who fit the criteria listed below.

Nominees must be juniors or seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, participate and or be active on campus, in the university, community, and or student activities, so leaders in clubs and organizations, those involved in volunteering or extracurricular activities are qualified.

“Next year when nominations go out, be sure to nominate those star students. We want to recognize our students, and this is another way to identify and recognize successful students on campus and we don’t want to miss anybody,” said Maumi Chatterton, administrator in the Office of Student Affairs.