SUccess closet undergoes changes

Use additional time during the summer to perfect your professional wardrobe. Goodwill and other thrift stores offer plenty of affordable options. (Villager file photo)

Stevenson University’s SUccess Closet makes it easy for students to find professional clothing at no cost.

The SUccess Closet was previously located in the Office of Career Services. The new closet is currently being merchandised Manning Academic Center. (Villager file photo)

The SUccess Closet began about three years ago in the Office of Career Services as a part of a joint project with Enactus, Stevenson’s social entrepreneurship club.

The purpose of the SUccess Closet is to provide a service for students by supplying them with professional attire because it is often “difficult and costly to find professional dress for interviews, internships, or to begin your first job,” said Holly Lentz-Schiller, assistant professor of fashion design and merchandising.

This year, however, the space is no longer located in the Career Services Office at Wooded Way. The closet has been moved and will be housed on the second floor of the  Manning Academic Center, according to Brianna Buttner, the project lead for the SUccess Closet. The closet contains many different clothing items including suits, dress pants, dress shirts, sport coats, dresses, slacks, sweaters, blouses, and some accessories.

The SUccess Closet has many goals for the future. The staff hopes to expand beyond professional attire to include casual wear as well. They also want to widen the closet for more demographics, sizes, weights, and heights.

Another vision is “to add more benefits for students by doing a full career program with it, where it will be like a business,” said Buttner. They want to hire students from different majors to help run the business as well as offer other services such as mock interviews to help students build confidence.

To help the site expand, Schiller hopes more people will use the service and know that “they can donate if they have things that no longer fit them or they no longer like.” The closet will accept donations from students, faculty, staff, and community members. Donations can be taken to Schiller to be added to the closet. Some businesses in the community such as Goodwill and Savers have also supported the closet by providing some clothing.

At several points last year, Career Services, Enactus, and the Fashion Apparel and Design Club (F.A.D.) hosted an event called the “Trunk Show.” Students could look through the closet and pick out three clothing items. Those interested should stay tuned for this type of event later in the semester.

Those working on the project are building a time frame for an hourly schedule when the closet will be open. Until then, if students need professional clothing, they can contact Schiller or Buttner through campus email for more information.