Center raises sustainability awareness

Center raises sustainability awareness

Stevenson University students and faculty are dedicated to raising awareness of environmental issues. Through the inclusion of clean energy and waste reduction, plans are underway for changes on campus to work towards a greener community.

Leave Steve Green promotes ways for students to leave as little waste behind while leaving campus for the summer. (Photo from Leave Steve Green Facebook)

Stevenson’s Center for Environmental Stewardship (C.E.S) has held several events to increase student participation towards creating a cleaner, greener, and happier campus.

“Leave Steve Green” is a food and clothing drive held at the end of every spring semester before students leave for the summer. The food portions donated are given to local shelters around Owings Mills, while clothing donated is taken to a local grocery store, Savers. Bins are placed in residence halls for clothing donations as well as non-perishable foods. For every 400 bags of clothing donated, Stevenson receives $1,000. The money C.E.S raises is used for sustainable programing.

With the beginning of the new year, C.E.S presented new recycling policies for Stevenson Universities campus waste disposal. Dr. Kim Tucker, director of the C.E.S, is currently working with one of assistant professor Inna Alesina’s classes, to create posters to educate the Stevenson community about the new policies.

This past summer the C.E.S purchased water-bottle filling stations for several locations on campus, including the Manning Academic Center, Owings Mills, and Greenspring sites. Compost bins have also been placed in the main dining hall of Rockland to help in the conservation of waste disposal.

C.E.S.’ major program this semester is called “SPRING SERVE!” planned by Tucker and Diamon Clark, a C.E.S staff member.

“Diamon and I are planning a new alternative spring break program in collaboration with Mission: I’m Home, to do an environmental service project in both Baltimore city and Baltimore county during spring break 2018. We are looking for volunteers!”  said Tucker.

This project will extend for five days, from March 14-18, filled with service work. Everyone has the ability to help preserve the health of our planet. Clark reminds students, “There is so much to do. The littlest things can help make a big difference.”