Stevenson to present “Cabaret”

Stevenson to present Cabaret

On April 14, 2018, at 7 p.m., Stevenson University will host the musical “Cabaret” in the Inscape Theatre on the Greenspring campus. The cast and crew have been hard at work for several months making sure that everything is ready for opening night under the supervision of the department of theatre and media performance.

Performances of the musical “Cabaret” will take place in the Inscape Theatre on April 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, and 21 at 7 p.m. and on Sunday, April 15 at 2 p.m.

Julie Herber, the associate artistic director at Maryland Ensemble Theatre, is directing Stevenson’s production. Herber has worked as a director, playwright and actor throughout her career.

The musical is based on the book by Joe Masteroff and on the play by John Van Druten and stories by Christopher Isherwood.

“Cabaret” has an interesting history and plot. A cabaret is a nightclub where audiences come to eat and drink while being entertained by a live show or a performance. The musical is set in Berlin, Germany, during the 1920s. In that time, Germany was faced with an economic depression due to World War I and the rise of Hitler and the Nazis. Berliners are encouraged to go to a cabaret, called the Kit Kat Club, where they can temporarily forget about their troubles and the challenges in their country.

“Cabaret”’s story continues with Clifford Bradshaw, an American writer who is looking for inspiration for his next book. He arrives at the Kit Kat Club, where he meets an entertainer named Sally Bowles. Despite Bradshaw’s struggles with various personal issues, he and Bowles begin a romantic relationship. As their relationship progresses, the Berliners endure negative changes that are occurring in Germany. The story contains several other twists and turns that are unexpected by the audience the music at the Kit Kat Club propels the plot.

The cast of “Cabaret” includes the following, in order of appearance:

EMCEE – Jack Rizzo
ROSIE – Nicole Arrison
LULU – Jazmine Higgins
FRENCHIE – Jainaya Rice
TEXAS – Scarlet Dare
FRITZIE – Alex Gore
HELGA – Shelbie Baird
BOBBY/SAILOR – Jordan Brown
VICTOR/OFFICIER/SAILOR – Sean Laraway
HANS/MAX – Joe Bohrer
HERMIN – Sydney Williams
SALLY BOWLES – Tori Caldwell
CLIFFORD BRADSHAW – Adam Vaughn
ERNST LUDWIG – Matt Van Nostrand
FRAULEIN SCHNEIDER – Chris Roberts
FRAULEIN KOST – Liv Dinter
HERR SCHULTZ – Thomas Rinaldi

Performances will take place in the Inscape Theatre on April 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, and 21 at 7 p.m. and on Sunday, April 15 at 2 p.m. Tickets: General admission $10, students and seniors $5. Call 443-334-2618 for tickets.