New student O.W.L.s selected for 2018

The student orientation welcome leaders for the summer of 2018 have been selected. (Photo from Stevenson OWL Instagram)

While Stevenson has many student employment opportunities available, being an Orientation  Welcome Leader (O.W.L.) is one of the most desirable student jobs on campus.

The student orientation welcome leaders (OWLs) for the summer of 2018 have been selected. Some of them pose for a photo, above. (Photo from Stevenson OWL Instagram)

This is a position that is fulfilled by a select number of students during the summer vacation months.

The interview process for the O.W.L. position recently closed, and the new summer of 2018 Orientation Welcome Leaders have been selected. Students who have been hired for this position will play a huge role in the incoming freshmen’s transition into college life at Stevenson.

This year’s O.W.L.s include the following students and their majors:

Senior O.W.L.s:
Anasseh Holt (Business administration)
Anthony Plaag (Public history)
Vaniah Hall (Digital marketing)

O.W.L.s:
Adrienne Civetti (Film & moving image)
Gloria Collier (Psychology)
Jensen Conklin (Nursing)
Christina Endy (Middle school education)
Lorenzo Geroso Nursing)
Olivia Hare (Business communication)
JT Klopcic (Human services)
Jimmy McDonald-Mercer (Film & moving image)
Georgie Williams (Criminal justice)

Aside from working in the admissions office during the week, O.W.L.s will lead Mustang Days in June.

Mustang Days are Stevenson’s freshman orientation program. O.W.L.s assist the incoming students with scheduling, finding where there classes will be, and getting to know their fellow classmates. These first days on campus are crucial for freshmen and it is important for the leaders to help them feel acclimated and comfortable at Stevenson, according to Molly Hayeslip, assistant director of guest experiences.

Student O.W.L.s also participate in orientation adventures, carefully selected events for incoming first-year students. These events take place during convocation weekend and are created in order to help students feel comfortable during their transition into college. Moving away from home can be a challenge for some new students and these fun day trips help take their mind off the stressors as well as encourage them to meet some of their peers.

Although O.W.L.s are tasked with a great deal of responsibility during their summer, they are also exposed to great opportunities. Hayeslip says students gain the invaluable skills of flexibility, professionalism, problem-solving, customer service skills and most importantly, they learn how to be team players. She added that student-employees at Stevenson learn a lot about the university itself and all that goes on behind the scenes.

Junior film and moving image major Adrienne Civetti says she is excited to share her experiences and connect with potential students as a summer O.W.L.

“One of the main reasons I came to Stevenson, and visited three times, were the ambassadors and O.W.L.s,” said Civetti. She looks forward to having that impact on future students. Other new employees should also look forward to living together and being able to build a close relationship with their co-workers.

Hayeslip said she is eager about the group this summer, believing that they are a well-rounded group of students who represent many aspects of Stevenson. They bring different passions and personalities to the table, but each one has a love of the Stevenson community and their time here, said Hayeslip. If she were to offer any advice to the incoming employees, she said they should remember to stay positive and flexible as they enter into new experiences this summer.

Interested students can stay updated on everything the O.W.L.s do this summer by following @stevenson_owls on Instagram.