Women’s basketball sets high expectations

The Stevenson University women’s basketball team is in preparation for their upcoming season beginning in November, with practices already under way.

After losing five vital players from last season, the Mustangs are planning to build off their strengths, using their teamwork and hustle to be successful this season.

The team has 11 players with five upperclassmen, including two seniors, Jonyae Curry and Montana Chance Herndon.

Senior Jonyae Curry looks to penetrate the Messiah College defense during a January 2018 game. (Photo by Sabina Moran)

The Mustangs only added one freshman to the team, Kellie Johnson. Head coach Jackie Boswell said that Johnson is going to have an opportunity to play, and the team is excited by the addition.

The team’s three captains are junior Hannah Crist, and the two seniors, Curry and Herndon. Two of the team’s captains from last season, Kristine Tennyson and Imani Sanders, graduated in May, while Herndon returned as captain again this season.

The captains have set personal and team goals for this upcoming season. Crist said her goal as a new captain is  to step up and be more of a leader this year, adding that she hopes to make up for “the loss of two of our captains.”

Additionally, Crist said, “I hope first of all that everyone stays healthy and second of all that we just go out there and try our best every conference game because I think we can be really good this year if we just stay focused.”

Boswell also has high hopes for the team this upcoming season. “I would love to see them have the experience of being able to play in the NCAA tournament, which means that we would have to win our conference, which is not going to be easy, but I do believe that we have the talent to do that.”

Hannah Crist makes a move against a Messiah defender in last January’s game. Crist is one of three 2018-19 captains for the Mustangs. (Photo by Sabina Moran)

The Mustangs were picked by the Middle Atlantic Commonwealth Conference coaches in the pre-season poll to finish second in-conference. Messiah College was the unanimous first place winner coming off of their Middle Atlantic Commonwealth Conference championship last season; Messiah went on to play in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen round.

The team’s first game of this season is Nov. 10 at 1 p.m. at home against Washington and Lee University. The team will be raising money and awareness for pancreatic cancer by hosting a “purple out” and selling purple bracelets and ribbons. The team encourages students and members of the community attend this game to show support.

The team concluded their last season with an overall record of 17-12, winning the majority of their home games, and receiving a bid to play in the ECAC tournament. They made it to the quarterfinals, building on their 63.6 points per game average of last season.

For more information about the team’s upcoming season, the schedule is available here: http://www.gomustangsports.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/schedule