Stevenson hires new intramural coordinator

Stevenson University recently hired a new coordinator of athletics/intramural sports. The new coordinator’s responsibilities include the marketing and coordination of intramural sports.

The new coordinator of athletics/intramural sports. Brittany Bizila, was hired in mid-October.
(Photo from Briarcliff.edu)

Brittany Bizila was hired in mid-October. The Pittsburgh native attended Bethany College, a small liberal arts school in West Virginia, where she played soccer for four years. Bizila was named team captain and attended an all-conference selection. In addition to soccer, she was a member of the track and field team and received her Bachelor’s degree in sports management.

Bizila attended graduate school in Iowa and graduated with a Master’s degree in leadership movement. She was then hired as the director of student activities at Briar Cliff University in Iowa and was responsible for managing intramural sports. She worked at Briar Cliff for four years before she came to Stevenson.

Bizila said that Stevenson is much bigger than what she is used to, with the Briar Cliff student population being just under 1,000. “I’m excited to be back on the East coast,” she said. “Everyone I’ve met has been very warm and welcoming, in regards to the student and faculty.”

Intramural sports team in 2018 included this team of co-ed volleyball players named champions last fall. (Villager file photo)

The intramural program will keep Bazila busy. Senior nursing major Justin Pettinelli enjoyed the program last year, and participated in intramural basketball. “It was a way to relax and play a sport without criticism from a coach,” he said. “It was also a way to take a break from my busy schedule and school load.” Pettinelli is excited to participate in intramural sports again this year.

Events coming up this semester include a double-elimination indoor volleyball tournament. Stevenson’s Office of Campus Recreation recently launched a new campus recreation app to keep track of events such as these. Students can now set up dates to participate in intramural fitness and outdoor activities.

Students also have increased access to intramural sports, fitness classes, check in games and classes with a QR code. More information on the tournament and app will be announced in the near future.

In the spring, there will be intramural basketball, soccer, lacrosse, flag football and dodgeball. In addition to physical sports, there will also be intramural E-sports. Any active students or faculty are welcome to participate.

The intramural department offices are located in Garrison Hall North in the Student Activities Center across from the E-Sports gaming lounge. More information can be found there, or on the Stevenson intramural website.