Students advised to continue seeking jobs

As the end of the semester nears, Stevenson students are going through the process of searching for job and internship opportunities. Students are aided by the Stevenson Career Connection Center formerly known as the Offices of Career Services, despite the fact that students have to connect remotely with the Center.

Students are encouraged to continue looking for internships and jobs during the COVID-19 crisis. Stevenson’s Career Connection Center can be reached via phone or Bluejeans for help with resume building, interview practice and advice. (Photo from stevenson.edu)

The Career Connection Center uses many helpful strategies when aiding students in their post-graduation endeavors. Kelly Fewster, a career advisor in the Career Connection Center, explained how the career advisors work with students in discussing job search strategies. She added that they help familiarize students with online tools like Handshake, CareerShift and LinkedIn.

Fewster said that one of the more unique strategies that the Career Connections Center is able to offer is networking via the Mustang Career Mentor Program. Within this program, students are able to connect with alumni, Career Pathways and professional associates.

The Career Connection Center also provides on-campus recruitment. This includes events like career fairs and on-campus interviews. These give students the opportunity to network with employers while also getting a feel for various fields in which they could find opportunities.

Fewster explained that the Career Connection Center collects data on students about what they do post-graduation. She said that there is a mix between working, whether full- or part-time work, and/or attending graduate school. 

Harvard Business Review reporter Jeffrey J. Selingo separates graduates into three separate groups: sprinters, wanderers and stragglers. Selingo explains that 35 percent of graduates fall into the sprinters’ group, students who immediately begin their careers or are on a successful path.

In today’s world, the “Gig Economy” is more prominent. This type of work includes independent contractors, online platform workers and temporary workers. Fewster explained that both networking and creating professional connections are important. She added that Parker Dewey is a good platform students may use to find micro-internships that are short-term, paid and professional. 

The career advisor noted that students who are going through the job and internship search process must keep an up-to-date resume, which she calls a marketing tool as well as a professional summary. When crafting a resume, she noted that it should be easy to read, organized, consistently formatted and highlight relevant experience and skills. There are also resume resources and samples on the Career Connection website.

While the Career Connections Center is not currently holding in-person advisor meetings, the staff is offering career advising by phone or using their video conference software, BlueJeans.

Additional online resources are available to students to help find job opportunities, including Indeed and USAJobs.