Seniors remember their SU years

Seniors remember their SU years

With the school year coming to an end, the class of 2020 is graduating and leaving the university to start their lives outside of school. Here, the Villager staff takes the time to talk to the seniors about their fondest memories while attending Stevenson.

The class of 2020 listens to a Baltimore Orioles’ tour guide during their visit to Camden Yards. (Villager file photo)

Candace Kling: “It is difficult to just pick one specific memory throughout my four years here. I have loved my experience with my professors and the friends I have gained coming out of college. It truly felt like a family. One memory that has always stuck out to me is a trip to Orioles Park freshman year. That trip truly opened my eyes to what my major had to offer. I felt like anything was possible.

Justin Pettinelli: “My best memories from playing lacrosse are probably just dancing in the locker room after a big win with my teammates. Going on trips to Ocean City were always fun, but I think just experiencing the highs and lows of college with great people are what really made everything memorable. I don’t have a specific memory that was great — the people were great.

The class of 2020 is welcomed into their first-year residence hall in August of 2016. (Photo from SU Flickr)

Jess Lewis: “Each year has been so different, and there are a lot of things that stand out to me as great memories. I think my favorite memory is from sophomore year when my friends and I went on a hiking trip together to celebrate the end of the semester. That year overall was amazing because that was when I got to meet new people who would become really important to me and that was the first year I got to live with my best friends as well.

Derek Tangorra: “My favorite memory was during my sophomore year and being able to travel with my team to California for four matches to open the 2018 season. Getting to bond with my team in a different, beautiful state was something I will never forget.”

The class of 2020, in their first year, gather around their first-prize-winning entry into the Lego Challenge. The students built a replica of Orioles Park at Camden Yards after their visit there. (Villager file photo)

Emma Cathy Smith:Other than being awarded drum major (which I’d still say is one of my proudest moments EVER), one of my favorite memories was actually my LPH induction last Spring! Due to schedule & work conflicts, my mother tends to only be at one major event per year. For junior year, that was my induction. I made it a point to introduce her to all of the BizComm faculty, who all began to share stories of me in class as well as talk about my accomplishments. Afterwards, my mom shared that she felt that she got a very true and clear glimpse of who I am because of my professors’ perspectives, and that she was extremely proud of who I had become during my time at Stevenson. I’ll never forget that.

Charlie Costin: “I loved going to sporting events, going to the tailgates and meeting new people everywhere I go.”

A few members of the class of 2020 pose for a photo in their first- year visit to the Inner Harbor in the fall of 2016. (Villager file photo)

Morgan Bateman: The past four years at Stevenson have been the best four years of my life.  I made enough memories to last a life time, as well as lifelong friends.  There are too many memories to count, but if I had to pick one I would say one of my best memories at Stevenson was hosting the MAC Championship for women’s lacrosse on our home field.  Although we didn’t get the outcome we wanted, it was such an amazing experience and I am glad I got to experience it with my whole team.

Matthew Bowman: “Bus rides with the boys, hanging out in the locker room, pre-game practices with my guys, winning MAC championships and just meeting all my teammates over the past four years.”

During “Wet and Wild Field Day” in 2016, first-year students and others enjoy the festivities on the apartments quad. (Photo from SU Flickr)

Annie Smyth-Hammond: “During my time at Stevenson, one of my favorite memories was winning the inaugural MAC championship in my sophomore year for the women’s ice hockey team. In general, I have loved the small, close-knit feeling I had when walking around campus and knowing the people in my classes. I have loved the past four years here and will miss them dearly!

Joseph Mauler: “One of my favorite things about Stevenson was how willing the professors were to help me when I reached out to them. When I decided to pursue my career goal to become a licensed profession counselor, the psychology department were more than helpful and jump-started my objective, even though I was already graduating with a business communication degree. My major’s chair helped adjust my studies for my psychology minor and counseling classes.”