Things to do on a Stevenson break day

Stevenson swapped out a five-day spring break for five “break days/reading days” to allow students to take time for themselves amidst online classes and the pandemic. The break days throughout the Spring of 2021 semester are Feb. 15, March 9, March 17, April 22, and a reading day on May 7.

Although only two break days remain, there are many things for Mustangs to do while enjoying their day off from classes. One activity that anyone can do is sit out in the quad or at the coffee house. Students can soak up the sun or catch up with a friend while being out of the dorms.

Baltimore Inner Harbor (photo from visitmaryland.org)

Sydney Nace, a sophomore Nursing major, likes “spending time with friends or reading” on break days. If Mustangs are feeling adventurous, Nace also encourages going on a hike or a walk and exploring new places to eat just for the experience. Restaurants such as Eggspectation, World of Beer, Sushi Q2, Times Square Kitchen, Mezcal, or Iron Age are a good place to start.

In addition to restaurants, Kirstyn Eckles, a senior Business Administration major, said, “The aquarium is a lot of fun and good for a break day!” Downtown Baltimore and Downtown Annapolis are great destinations to explore, Eckles added. In Downtown Baltimore, the Harbor is a nice place to take photos and there is also a large Barnes and Noble that is a go-to spot for those interested in books. The aquarium also offers $20 Fridays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in addition to their daily admissions.

On May 7, the last reading day, the Orioles will be in town playing the Red Sox at 7:05 p.m. This could be a great opportunity to spend time with friends and be in person at a baseball game. Although, be mindful that Camden Yards is only functioning at 25% capacity, which means only 11,000 fans are allowed to attend each game. Masks are still required, and chairs are blocked off to encourage the CDC’s six-foot distance recommendation.

Clay Bakers on Main Street in Annapolis, Maryland (photo from theclaybakers.com).

Downtown Annapolis has many boutiques and stores to walk through, even if a student does not want to spend money. There are also many photo ops in Annapolis by the docks and by the water. A shop called the Clay Bakers, a paint-your-pottery place, is located in the strip of shops on Main Street. Customers can purchase a piece of pottery and sits outside at a table to paint and design their own piece of art. Also located in Downtown Annapolis is the Maryland State House and the Naval Academy. Although visitors are not allowed inside either facility due to COVID-19, both are amazing historical attractions that are just as beautiful outside as they are on the inside.

With Baltimore about 20 minutes away and Annapolis about 50 minutes away, it is also the perfect opportunity to listen to newly released music. Taking a drive with the windows down listening to the newest music is another relaxing activity to add to a break day or reading day.