The Villager Presents: The Best Scary Flicks for Spooky Season

By: Jake Plasse

Warning: This article will cause a spooky experience  

BOO!!!  

Turn off the lights, run up the stairs fast with your heart pounding, close your closets and check under your bed.  Halloween is right around the corner, and what better way to pass the days than to watch some scary movies. With streaming services as popular as ever, we’ve peaked around every dark corner to find the horrifying, the terrifying, and the bizarre. 

Stephen King’s Children of the Corn (1984) (Available on Hulu and Amazon Prime video)- 

Children of the Corn Movie Poster

From the mind of Stephen King, Children of the Corn follows a young couple on a road trip who end up on a disastrous detour. They soon find themselves in the town of Gatlin, Nebraska, where a cult of children have deposed the adults and rule. Children of the Corn, being an older movie, has some very dated acting and makes for a very CORNY time. With little gore and lots of screaming, Children of the Corn makes both kiddies and cornrows something to avoid at all costs. The special effects in the film are woefully outdated, such as the ridiculous clouds in the sky that are used to ed to portray “He who walks behind the rows.” The film makes for a fun time with friends if CORNY acting is enjoyed. 

Hellraiser (1987) (Available on Amazon Prime video)- 

Meet Pin Head and the cenobites in the film Hellraiser, where gore and death are no strangers. The film follows a wife looking to revive her fallen boyfriend by killing people to feed his unrelenting hunger for blood. As the film progresses things take a turn for the weird when multiple monsters appear from a metal puzzle box looking for whoever has opened it to come with them and experience the true meaning of hell. Hellraiser is a fun time for those who enjoy blood, guts, and gore. With its popularity, the film has produced multiple sequels, making Pin Head a member of the horror movie icon club.   

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (Available on HBO Max)- 

MEET FREDDY KRUEGER in the film A Nightmare on Elm Street, but whatever you do, don’t fall asleep! In this film where nightmares become real, you will also have more dated effects and cheesy acting. The film follows a group of high school students who experience the horrors of their nightmares in real life. Gloves with knives, an ugly sweater, and a dirty hat are all factors that make Freddy Krueger the horror icon that he is. The film entertains the viewer with a fun goofy time and WAY too much blood. The film overall is a classic in every meaning of the word with many sequels that follow. If over-the-top acting and murder scenes are your thing then this film is for you. 

The Amityville Horror (1979) (Available on HBO Max)- 

Amityville Horror Movie Poster

The Amityville Horror follows a couple and their children who move into a new house. Little did they know that the house had already been occupied. After a murder that took place where a father killed his entire family, the couple moves into a scary situation where those who died never passed. The film is a classic spooky and disturbing time, especially for the season of horror. Experience the horror that a demonic presence can bring in one of the most successful independent movies ever made.  

The Evil Dead (1981) (Available on HBO Max)- 

Witness the beginning of Ash Williams. The Evil Dead explores the idea of demonic possession with even more cheesy acting. The film follows a group of college students who travel to a cabin in the middle of the woods and unfortunately get involved with demons who possess them. The film is a fun time for those who want to enjoy a classic story that went on to establish another famous horror icon in Ash Williams. The dated acting in the film leaves an opportunity for laughs and fun while the horror element makes for a great October flick.