EAST CAMPUS

Stevenson University celebrates the opening of the new Owings Mills East campus with ribbon-cutting

Stevenson University celebrated the opening of its new Owings Mills East campus with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Wednesday, April 13, 2023. The event took place from 3 to 5 p.m. and was attended by university officials, community leaders, and students. The new campus, located on a 117-acre site on Garrison Forest Road features athletic fields, tracks, and a maintenance center. 

A flyer was posted on Stevenson’s SUNOW website, giving students the location, time, and who to contact for questions. 

Owings Mills East campus ribbon-cutting ceremony (Photo courtesy of Stevenson.edu)

Josh Brauer, 22, works with the athletics department at Stevenson as an intern and used to play golf for Stevenson. Brauer, a senior business administration major focused on sports management, was present at the ribbon-cutting event handing out t-shirts to the attendees.  

“The athletics department and event staff worked together to hold this event and help set it up” Brauer said. “This campus will bring a lot of pull to Stevenson, athletic recruiting will pick up, and it just adds on to our, already top-notch, facilities we have at the main campus.”  

The east campus will hold practices and events for track and field, field hockey, baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, and cross-country. Along with a maintenance facility, there is no doubt that potential high-school recruits will be attracted to the vast resources the athletic department at Stevenson provides. 

Khari Stewart, 22, competes with Stevenson’s track and field team as a triple jumper. Stewart, a senior criminal justice major, believes that the construction and opening of the new campus will help improve Stevenson’s athletic development across all sports teams. 

Arial view of new Owings Mills East Campus (Photo courtesy of Stevenson.edu)

“Apart from attracting recruits, I have a feeling these facilities will help me get better as an athlete because of all the ways we can train and recover,” Stewart said. “It gives all student-athletes even more resources to use and improve, I know for sure I’ll be over here a lot running on the tracks.” 

The Owings Mills East campus is part of the university’s plan to expand its regional footprint and increase its capacity to serve student-athletes. The ribbon-cutting ceremony was followed by free food and desserts, with tours of the new campus allowing attendees to explore the new facilities and learn more about the university’s athletic programs.